GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Are Bell Pepper Seeds Slow To Germinate? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196248-bell-pepper-seeds-slow-germinate.html)

EVP MAN 04-04-2011 03:28 PM

Are Bell Pepper Seeds Slow To Germinate?

Ten days ago I planted eight Big Bertha bell pepper seeds in peat
pellets. I have them in small plastic cups which I placed in a zip lock
bag along with a damp piece of sponge. They are also on top of a
germination heat mat. So far, I only see 2 seeds that are germinating
and just showing through the peat pellets. Is this length of time
common for bell pepper seeds?

Rich from PA

Nad R 04-04-2011 03:49 PM

Are Bell Pepper Seeds Slow To Germinate?

Yes, peppers are very slow two germinate. Peppers are also a slow growing
plant, at least in Michigan's cooler weather. I usually wait two to three
weeks for them to pop up out of the soil.

Billy[_10_] 04-04-2011 11:41 PM

Are Bell Pepper Seeds Slow To Germinate?

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Ten days ago I planted eight Big Bertha bell pepper seeds in peat
pellets. I have them in small plastic cups which I placed in a zip lock
bag along with a damp piece of sponge. They are also on top of a
germination heat mat. So far, I only see 2 seeds that are germinating
and just showing through the peat pellets. Is this length of time
common for bell pepper seeds?

Rich from PA

3 weeks to germination isn't unusual in my germinator tray with heat pad
and grow lights.

Jobs, not Wars

==
--
- Billy
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.

Gunner[_3_] 11-04-2011 08:15 AM

On Apr 4, 7:28*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
Ten days ago I planted eight Big Bertha bell pepper seeds in peat
pellets. *I have them in small plastic cups which I placed in a zip lock
bag along with a damp piece of sponge. *They are also on top of a
germination heat mat. *So far, *I only see 2 seeds that are germinating
and just showing through the peat pellets. *Is this length of time
common for bell pepper seeds?

Rich from PA

Get rid of the peat pellets and your germ. rate will improve.