Old 17-04-2011, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default an open letter to gardenbanter.co.uk posters and thegardenbanter.co.uk site operators

(not that i think the latter even read this newsgroup,
but hey...)

first, this is a usenet newsgroup called rec.gardens.
it is not a website forum. the gardenbanter site acts
as a go between and makes it look like a webforum, but
it is not. please read up on usenet, ettiquette and
basic how to ask questions on usenet before asking a
question. thank you very much! it would be appreciated.

second of all. questions are great, and most people don't
mind helping when asked a question. the trouble is that
the questions that don't contain enough information
tend to spend a lot of peoples time in asking for more
information. after a few hundred rounds of "Please
tell me more" it gets old.

next, you can improve your site (gardenbanter.co.uk) by
educating your users on how to ask questions so that
they will get the answer they seek on the first
few rounds and save others time in having to ask
the same questions repeatedly. that will improve both
gardenbanter and rec.gardens for everyone.

and last for those who are unable to figure out
how to find information on usenet newsgroups or
how to ask a question here is what i can think of
that would help a lot:

- give your location (general is ok, but a microclimate
can make a difference) country, county, state, province,
USDA zone or other reference common in your area

- give the plant name (scientific and common name, both!)

- describe the plant and the problem use as much
as you can. the more you write the first time
around means that if someone later has to ask
a question they can ask a better one in return

- size does matter, if you are using measurements use
metric, describe the size of the plant

- describe the planting location and surrounding
plantings that might influence it's growth

- describe the drainage of the area in general

- describe how much water it gets

- if you use watering devices describe them

- describe the soil

- describe any use of fertilizer (what kind, how
much, how often, how applied) or other amendments

- describe how the plant was planted

- describe anything else you are doing to encourage
(or discourage in the case of weeds) growth

anyone else have anything to add to this list?

songbird
Old 18-04-2011, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

[...]

As FarmI said, uk.rec.gardening, seems to be where British gardeners are.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion
Dept. of Health and Human Services budget: $78.4 billion

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 18-04-2011, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default an open letter

"songbird" wrote

(not that i think the latter even read this newsgroup,
but hey...)

They apparently filter out notes like yours. By editing, this one *may* get
through.

I'd love to see them able to actually chat with us. There's no problem that
some prefer to pay for an access type they like, after all, I pay for my
newsgroup feed. It's not much a month but I like the level of service over
the free sites and if I have a software problem, I can call them for help.

first, this is a usenet newsgroup called rec.gardens.
it is not a website forum. the gxxxxxx site acts
as a go between and makes it look like a webforum, but
it is not. please read up on usenet, ettiquette and
basic how to ask questions on usenet before asking a
question. thank you very much! it would be appreciated.

Mostly they do nothing wrong except the common mistakes all of us make at
the start. It is irrlevant to me if they 'think this is a web forum'. They
catch on fast that it's a web forum linked to other sources. From their
POV, it's a web forum they use to access information.

second of all. questions are great, and most people don't
mind helping when asked a question. the trouble is that
the questions that don't contain enough information
tend to spend a lot of peoples time in asking for more
information. after a few hundred rounds of "Please
tell me more" it gets old.

next, you can improve your site (xxxxxx) by
educating your users on how to ask questions so that
they will get the answer they seek on the first
few rounds and save others time in having to ask
the same questions repeatedly. that will improve both
for everyone.

If you are asking their web site to do this, I think you will fail.

and last for those who are unable to figure out
how to find information on usenet newsgroups or
how to ask a question here is what i can think of
that would help a lot:

- give your location (general is ok, but a microclimate
can make a difference) country, county, state, province,
USDA zone or other reference common in your area

- give the plant name (scientific and common name, both!)

- describe the plant and the problem use as much
as you can. the more you write the first time
around means that if someone later has to ask
a question they can ask a better one in return

- size does matter, if you are using measurements use
metric, describe the size of the plant

Sorry, but one should just make it clear which is being used. The average
person is perfectly capable of a rough translation. Always specify 'type'
if talking temps. Huge difference in 32 degrees between C and F scales.

- describe the planting location and surrounding
plantings that might influence it's growth

- describe the drainage of the area in general

- describe how much water it gets

- if you use watering devices describe them

- describe the soil

- describe any use of fertilizer (what kind, how
much, how often, how applied) or other amendments

- describe how the plant was planted

- describe anything else you are doing to encourage
(or discourage in the case of weeds) growth

anyone else have anything to add to this list?

While these are good ideas, I don't think the average question will come
with that much detail.

Here's one that doesnt need it.

I have 2 apple trees. Just as they hit bloom a huge storm came through much
of the USA of which I was part of the path. Now most of the blooms are
gone. Do you know if the tree will sprout more blooms? They are a yellow
Delicious and a Granny Apple. Both are about 6feet or 2M tall and get full
sun in zone7B. Rainfall is right for them so added watering isnt needed.

Old 18-04-2011, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"songbird" wrote

[...]

As you see songbird, no good deed goes unpunished :O(

You had 82F? Oh, I am so jealous.

Rain tomorrow.

If you like weekends (8 hr./day & 40 hr./week), then thank a labor union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair

===

Old 18-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] View Post
In article ,
"cshenk"
wrote:

"songbird" wrote

[...]

Haymarket affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

===
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion
Dept. of Health and Human Services budget: $78.4 billion

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Hi Songbird, Yes in part I agree but I would underline the bit about location, its very hard to answer questions when you havent a clue where the person lives !! As far as information supplied as per your list, yes, in an ideal world all the things you mentioned would be useful but I get the feeling, alot of the people who post questions here would struggle with alot of them. I answer questions all the time as part of the service when selling plants and its my experience that inexperienced gardeners dont think like we possibly do !!
Many good points though,
Lannerman

Old 19-04-2011, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

cshenk wrote:
songbird wrote

(not that i think the latter even read this newsgroup,
but hey...)

They apparently filter out notes like yours. By editing, this one *may* get
through.

I'd love to see them able to actually chat with us. There's no problem that
some prefer to pay for an access type they like, after all, I pay for my
newsgroup feed. It's not much a month but I like the level of service over
the free sites and if I have a software problem, I can call them for help.

oh sure, i pay for my usenet newsfeed and
i'm happy with the price and service. i
can't imagine paying a website for access
to only one usenet newsgroup when there are
so many thousand to pick from.

first, this is a usenet newsgroup called rec.gardens.
it is not a website forum. the gxxxxxx site acts
as a go between and makes it look like a webforum, but
it is not. please read up on usenet, ettiquette and
basic how to ask questions on usenet before asking a
question. thank you very much! it would be appreciated.

Mostly they do nothing wrong except the common mistakes all of us make at
the start. It is irrlevant to me if they 'think this is a web forum'. They
catch on fast that it's a web forum linked to other sources. From their
POV, it's a web forum they use to access information.

web forums are so slow in comparison.

second of all. questions are great, and most people don't
mind helping when asked a question. the trouble is that
the questions that don't contain enough information
tend to spend a lot of peoples time in asking for more
information. after a few hundred rounds of "Please
tell me more" it gets old.

next, you can improve your site (xxxxxx) by
educating your users on how to ask questions so that
they will get the answer they seek on the first
few rounds and save others time in having to ask
the same questions repeatedly. that will improve both
for everyone.

If you are asking their web site to do this, I think you will fail.

of course. i can make a wish though...

[...]

another wish is that everyone would
be on metric. while i'm dreaming...

- describe the planting location and surrounding
plantings that might influence it's growth

- describe the drainage of the area in general

- describe how much water it gets

- if you use watering devices describe them

- describe the soil

- describe any use of fertilizer (what kind, how
much, how often, how applied) or other amendments

- describe how the plant was planted

- describe anything else you are doing to encourage
(or discourage in the case of weeds) growth

anyone else have anything to add to this list?

While these are good ideas, I don't think the average question will come
with that much detail.

which is why...

please post this to a different thread.
that way you have a chance of someone seeing
it who knows apple trees. unfortunately, i
don't.

Here's one that doesnt need it.

I have 2 apple trees. Just as they hit bloom a huge storm came through much
of the USA of which I was part of the path. Now most of the blooms are
gone. Do you know if the tree will sprout more blooms? They are a yellow
Delicious and a Granny Apple. Both are about 6feet or 2M tall and get full
sun in zone7B. Rainfall is right for them so added watering isnt needed.

well put, good luck,

songbird
Old 19-04-2011, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
As you see songbird, no good deed goes unpunished :O(

actually, the question was well put.
i have no answer as i only know a
little about apples indirectly from
readings here or there.

You had 82F? Oh, I am so jealous.

only for the one day and now i have
forgotten what it feels like. the
last few days have been rainy, windy
and cold with some snow.

we needed the rain, but the wind
has been tough.

Rain tomorrow.

i just hope for no snow or ice.

songbird
Old 19-04-2011, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
As you see songbird, no good deed goes unpunished :O(

actually, the question was well put.
i have no answer as i only know a
little about apples indirectly from
readings here or there.

You had 82F? Oh, I am so jealous.

only for the one day and now i have
forgotten what it feels like. the
last few days have been rainy, windy
and cold with some snow.

we needed the rain, but the wind
has been tough.

Rain tomorrow.

i just hope for no snow or ice.

songbird

The two inches of snow yesterday did not last long. Freezing rain this
morning.
Yep, April snow showers brings May flowers

Old 20-04-2011, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
As you see songbird, no good deed goes unpunished :O(

actually, the question was well put.
i have no answer as i only know a
little about apples indirectly from
readings here or there.

You had 82F? Oh, I am so jealous.

only for the one day and now i have
forgotten what it feels like. the
last few days have been rainy, windy
and cold with some snow.

we needed the rain, but the wind
has been tough.

Rain tomorrow.

i just hope for no snow or ice.

songbird

The two inches of snow yesterday did not last long. Freezing rain this
morning.
Yep, April snow showers brings May flowers

Thanks, for sharing. It gave me a shiver down my spine.
We had 70F temps for a couple of days, then it went back to the 50Fs.
Night time temps are finally up in the 40Fs where they'll be for most of
the season. We had sprinkles yesterday, and it's supposed to be the same
tomorrow. At present it is in the mid 60Fs with broken clouds.

McGowan's Drinking Guide (Translated from the original German. It's
complicated, OK?)

Symptom Fault Action to be Taken

Feet warm and wet. Incorrect bladder Stand by nearest dog -
control. after a while complain
to its owner about its
behavior + demand a
pint in compensation.

"Gardening is the purest of human pleasures."
- Francis Bacon

Taxes
Citizen$ --- Government --- Corporations --- Top 1% --Where the
money went

Are you better off than you were 30 years ago? 10 years ago?
It's called Reaganomics (a.k.a. Voodoo economics). There is a better way.