Old 01-05-2003, 02:20 PM
SPOONS

Default How do I make a topiary?

Hi all,

I have some cedar or pine bushes that I'd like to try my hand at making them
into topiary the spiral kind. I haven't been able to find any sites that
show step by step on how to do it.

Does anyone know of some good sites?

Thanks
SPOONS

Old 01-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Snooze

I'm a novice at making such bushes, but I made a 2 tiered one,which will
hopefully become a 3 tiered one. What I did was, let it grow for a summer or
two, until it got established. Then I pruned back all the upward growing
branches, except for the center most one. I just let that one grow. Then I
would clip off all side branches off of it, in the areas I wanted bare.

I suppose a spiral one would take a bit more work, but, you get the idea.
Good luck.

Sameer

le.rogers.com...

Old 01-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Vox Humana

"SPOONS" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Hi all,

I have some cedar or pine bushes that I'd like to try my hand at making

them
into topiary the spiral kind. I haven't been able to find any sites that
show step by step on how to do it.

Does anyone know of some good sites?

I don't know of any sites, but I cut a dwarf Alberta spruce into a spiral
several years ago. Some shrubs seen to have a natural tendency to grow in a
spiral shape. I spent some time looking at the spruce to determine how to
best define the spiral. Then I got some wide ribbon (from Christmas) and
pinned it to the tree. I cut away the area between the ribbons. At first
the spiral was a little ill defined, but with time and additional trimming,
it looked pretty good.

[IMG] code is On

Topiary sculptures and topiary animals ClareH Marketplace 1 03-03-2009 09:01 AM
Topiary book gary Gardening 0 11-12-2003 02:32 PM
'Topiary' Copper Beech Tree?? Alison United Kingdom 4 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
FS: (Canb) Topiary Animals Gary Australia 0 05-04-2003 04:44 AM
FS: (Canb) Topiary Animals Gary Australia 0 19-12-2002 11:34 PM