GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Little Purple Flowers In Lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196654-little-purple-flowers-lawn.html)

EVP MAN 28-04-2011 08:35 PM

Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Brooklyn1 28-04-2011 09:16 PM

wrote:

My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Tweezers... or wait ten days.

[email protected] 28-04-2011 09:51 PM

(EVP MAN) writes:

My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Discussed about a year ago to death.

They're violets and there is not much you can really do to them.
I pulled a bunch by hand but you've really got to stick your fingers
into the dirt and get the rhizome.

I've got a lot less this year after 2 years of hand removal.

EVP MAN 29-04-2011 01:46 AM

Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

Why......... Because soon I won't have any grass. All of a sudden these
violets are taking over the whole front lawn. There are thousands of
them out there! Hand pulling these would be next to impossible!

Rich

[email protected] 29-04-2011 02:26 AM

(EVP MAN) writes:

Why......... Because soon I won't have any grass. All of a sudden these
violets are taking over the whole front lawn. There are thousands of
them out there! Hand pulling these would be next to impossible!

Don't bother explaining why.
This happens every time the discussion of any weed comes up.

Last time around the consensus was that Weed-B-Gone has some effect.
Apply it now.

Maybe I weakened the suckers with the Weed-B-Gone but I really think
hand pulling is the best you can do. Of course anything you can do
to thicken the lawn is good too.

This year those damn shotweeds are going crazy.
I'm trying to get to them before it's too late.

Nad R 29-04-2011 02:38 AM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?
Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Why?

Bag your lawn clippings and compost especially in the spring. Early spring
mow the yard short and add grass seed which will make it harder for weeds
to multiply. Mowing without bagging will spread the unwanted flowers. In
early summer let the grass grow tall, it will help snuff out the smaller
unwanted plants and the grass will go to seed and then mow the yard without
bagging, this will help in spreading free grass seed. Weeds tend to go to
seed before the grass goes to seed.

My initial guess it is purple clover which is beneficial to your lawn in
the long run.

Ig.Gardener 29-04-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVP MAN (Post 919302)
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, especially if you're trying to get a perfect grass lawn, but you could just enjoy them while they're there. Butterflies LOVE them!

Billy[_10_] 29-04-2011 06:20 AM

Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

In article ,
Ig.Gardener wrote:

EVP MAN;919302 Wrote:
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, especially if you're
trying to get a perfect grass lawn, but you could just enjoy them while
they're there. Butterflies LOVE them!

Dans mes bras. Bravo.

"Nothing is more the child of art than a garden."
- Sir Walter Scott
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: we can't afford it

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/

Peppermint Patootie 29-04-2011 07:08 PM

(EVP MAN) wrote:

Why......... Because soon I won't have any grass. All of a sudden these
violets are taking over the whole front lawn. There are thousands of
them out there! Hand pulling these would be next to impossible!

Rich

Violets don't last long. Enjoy them while they're there.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

[email protected] 29-04-2011 07:35 PM

Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

Peppermint Patootie writes:

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Why......... Because soon I won't have any grass. All of a sudden these
violets are taking over the whole front lawn. There are thousands of
them out there! Hand pulling these would be next to impossible!

Rich

Violets don't last long. Enjoy them while they're there.

They last all summer.

Sure the flowers bloom mostly in the spring but the dark green leaves
are visible year round.

Of course if you have a few acres of lawn that you only see from a
distance, it's no problem. But if you're trying to grow something
you view frequently from close up they can be a problem.

What I don't get is how they spread.
Of all the little plants I pulled out, only one so far has had
a seed pod. So if they spread by seeds I don't see how.

I'd expect they spread by rhizome. But the rhizome looks like
it's an inch to an inch and a half long. I'd expect to see them
in adjacent clumps, about an inch apart, but that's not how they grow.
They're pretty much spread out everywhere.

Is there a thinner part to the rhizome that you don't see when you
pull the plant?

[email protected] 16-06-2019 01:38 AM

Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

That’s the problem. Everyone wants a perfect lawn. Nature isn’t perfect but no one seems to get that.

rosh colman 24-08-2019 05:35 PM

Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

🙌🏼100 msjs £58
👊🏼Xanax 100 for 80