Old 28-04-2011, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Old 28-04-2011, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Tweezers... or wait ten days.
Old 29-04-2011, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Why?

Old 29-04-2011, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Why......... Because soon I won't have any grass. All of a sudden these
violets are taking over the whole front lawn. There are thousands of
them out there! Hand pulling these would be next to impossible!

Rich

Old 29-04-2011, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?
Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Why?

Bag your lawn clippings and compost especially in the spring. Early spring
mow the yard short and add grass seed which will make it harder for weeds
to multiply. Mowing without bagging will spread the unwanted flowers. In
early summer let the grass grow tall, it will help snuff out the smaller
unwanted plants and the grass will go to seed and then mow the yard without
bagging, this will help in spreading free grass seed. Weeds tend to go to
seed before the grass goes to seed.

My initial guess it is purple clover which is beneficial to your lawn in
the long run.

Old 29-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVP MAN View Post
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, especially if you're trying to get a perfect grass lawn, but you could just enjoy them while they're there. Butterflies LOVE them!
__________________
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener
Old 29-04-2011, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ig.Gardener wrote:

EVP MAN;919302 Wrote:
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?

Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for, especially if you're
trying to get a perfect grass lawn, but you could just enjoy them while
they're there. Butterflies LOVE them!

Dans mes bras. Bravo.

"Nothing is more the child of art than a garden."
- Sir Walter Scott
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: we can't afford it

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/
Old 16-06-2019, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

That’s the problem. Everyone wants a perfect lawn. Nature isn’t perfect but no one seems to get that.
Old 24-08-2019, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

🙌🏼100 msjs £58
👊🏼Xanax 100 for 80
😈tramadol 10 a strip
Quetiapine teva ! 60 taps £35