GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant I.D. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196849-plant-i-d.html)

Doug[_2_] 09-05-2011 02:32 PM

Plant I.D.

I took my first trip to the New Jersey Botanical Gardens yesterday.
Beautiful place. I'll have to go back when more of the perennials and
annuals are blooming.

I was walking through the hosta garden and noticed a really cool
looking plant that had no ID tag. (I didn't have my camera so I
couldn't take a picture.) It had large roundish leaves with the flower
stalk growing from the leaf axil. The flower was purple with three
bracts, maybe 2" in diameter.

I tried Googling a bunch of descriptive terms but haven't found
anything resembling it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Doug[_2_] 09-05-2011 06:50 PM

Plant I.D.

Thanks Janet. It definitely looks like it could be Eructus. The only
thing that I don't remember noticing was if it had the three leaves.
I'll have to take another look when I go back.

Janet wrote:
In article 8ad8afeb-9989-4023-9b51-37cd1d7b7a45
@dr5g2000vbb.googlegroups.com, says...

I took my first trip to the New Jersey Botanical Gardens yesterday.
Beautiful place. I'll have to go back when more of the perennials and
annuals are blooming.

I was walking through the hosta garden and noticed a really cool
looking plant that had no ID tag. (I didn't have my camera so I
couldn't take a picture.) It had large roundish leaves with the flower
stalk growing from the leaf axil. The flower was purple with three
bracts, maybe 2" in diameter.

I tried Googling a bunch of descriptive terms but haven't found
anything resembling it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

trillium ? possibly t foetidissima ?