Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Virginia
Angry Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!!

I'm sorry if this has been answered in the ant thread, but I figured even if it was, it would need it's own thread because it's such a HUGE problem, at least in my area. So, here's the question. As I've said before, my house is in woods and I have two labs and a jack russel mix. The ticks are HORRIBLE. One of my labs contracted Lyme two years ago, which was terrifying. We used Frontline, and the ticks were reduced but still there. We tried Advantix and it worked better, but made my jack russel mix ill. I did research and found a home made mixture that I put in a spray bottle and I sprayed them every night, which worked as well as the Frontline and was safe to touch and smelled better, but it's not just the ticks getting on them but clinging onto them and coming into the house. Is there any inexpensive way to repell them at least a little? Maybe something I can put on the floors? I had to use a strong pesticide on everything last year because the jack russel came in COVERED in nymphal ticks, which was an ordeal to say the least. Any advice is helpful and the cheaper the better.
__________________
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener
Old 11-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Xiamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig.Gardener View Post
Professional manufacturer of fiberglass planter in China, our main product include terrazzo planter,polystone pots,fountain,tables and statue.Go www.jinleigarden.com for more information. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!!

Ig.Gardener wrote:
[...]

Bantam Chickens loves ticks. Also was that "frontline" or "frontline plus"?
Frontline Plus works great on my little yorkie. I have never seen a single
tick on him after using frontline plus. However the little rat did have two
ticks early this spring before I started up his toxic avenger. Advantix
does seem to work better, but does not last as long as Frontline Plus. This
rainy season has made ticks here in Michigan the worse I have ever seen
also.

I am still waiting for the human version of frontline for ticks. I do use
OFF once in a while and on my clothes instead of on my skin. I were a light
weight long sleeve shirt and hat when gardening. I always take a bath and
look my self over real well and use fine tooth comb after a day of
gardening.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 11 May 2011 05:11:43 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Ig.Gardener wrote:
[...]

You need an offsider so you can check each other over at the end of
the day .....

Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 11 May 2011 01:25:11 +0000, Ig.Gardener
wrote:

[...]

Other than what you are doing I can only suggest going over the dogs
by hand every night. If they run through a wooded area with ticks
nothing will stop them picking up ticks, all you can do is deal with
them. I use Killtix collars on my dogs but they run mainly on the
paddocks so the load of ticks isn't so bad.

David

Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/10/2011 9:25 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
[...]

I'd probably ask my vet as to what meds are safest for dogs.
We went through this with our cat who never leaves the house but picked
up a tick.

Lyme disease is rampant around here and I know numerous people that had
it. I spend a lot of time outside and in the woods but have never
caught it as in the woods I wear long clothes and shower when I get
home. The deer ticks apparently take a long time to settle in before
they bite you.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

Other than what you are doing I can only suggest going over the dogs
by hand every night. If they run through a wooded area with ticks
nothing will stop them picking up ticks, all you can do is deal with
them. I use Killtix collars on my dogs but they run mainly on the
paddocks so the load of ticks isn't so bad.

David[/quote]

I do a tick check on them every night, and myself. I was just hoping for something that would deter the ticks from coming/staying in the house. I'll look into the Killtix collars. Do you know if they can get wet. I got some collars before for them but they jumped in a creek on a hot day and they didn't work anymore. Labs!!! Also, I don't recall if it was Frontline or Frontline Plus. I didn't use it last year, just the spray I made because it was working just as well, and like I said, it smelled wonderful.
__________________
Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/10/2011 08:25 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
[...]

The best way to get rid of ticks is to buy some Diazinon and
malathion and spray your yard once a month.

You also need to dip your dogs in a solution of those chemicals
and you'll never be bothered by ticks on them again. I had a dog
that had ticks so bad they were crawling off him all the time
and all the regular pet products to get rid of ticks never helped,
so out of desperation I tried malathion & Diazinon and never had
another problem with ticks. You'll be amazed at how fast the tick
problem goes away. It doesn't take much of those chemicals to make
a good dip solution.

Stop spending hundreds of dollars for pet products that don't work.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

The pet products does work for my dog. However, if you do spray your yard
it will probably kill the good bugs also like worms and spiders. Then the
next year your yard will have nothing but the bad flying bugs real bad
because the good bugs will not be there to fight the bad bugs. So how many
Bad Bugs can be and bugs be... Carried away here for a moment.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 11, 2:58*pm, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
[...]

Unless you already have the diazinon, you cannot get it- it is banned
in the US and Europe.

Chris

Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 11 May 2011 13:20:50 +0000, Ig.Gardener
wrote:

Other than what you are doing I can only suggest going over the dogs
by hand every night. If they run through a wooded area with ticks
nothing will stop them picking up ticks, all you can do is deal with
them. I use Killtix collars on my dogs but they run mainly on the
paddocks so the load of ticks isn't so bad.

David

I do a tick check on them every night, and myself. I was just hoping for
something that would deter the ticks from coming/staying in the house.
I'll look into the Killtix collars. Do you know if they can get wet.

Yes, they are also safe for the pond animals and fish too if the dogs
go swimming.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 11 May 2011 13:58:21 -0500, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:

[...]

The problem is the ticks in the woods where the dogs run, should the
OP spray the whole woods?

If you spray your yard you will blitz every insect and many other
small organisms that live there. Not all "bugs" should be killed on
sight.

David
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Virginia
Talking

Another issue with spraying the yard is that I live on ten acres and the dogs go everywhere. The creek I mentioned is at the very edge. Will the Malathion & Diazinon make my little one sick like the Advantix? Let me add that although she has no health issues and is still energetic, she is about 16 years old and is starting to slow down. She's my old lady. ^_^ If it won't then that sounds wonderful! One dip and done.
__________________
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Don't be an idiot!!!

If you spray your yard you will blitz every insect and many other
small organisms that live there. Not all "bugs" should be killed on
sight.

Evidently you don't have a tick problem so bad your willing to
try anything to make it stop.

David

Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ig.Gardener wrote:

Another issue with spraying the yard is that I live on ten acres and the
dogs go everywhere. The creek I mentioned is at the very edge. Will the
Malathion & Diazinon make my little one sick like the Advantix? Let me
add that although she has no health issues and is still energetic, she
is about 16 years old and is starting to slow down. She's my old lady.
^_^ If it won't then that sounds wonderful! One dip and done.

Possibly done for good. Please do not use these compounds directly on
your pet. I have treated many dozens of pets for organophosphate
toxicity and, unfortunately, wasn't able to save them all. Applying
diazinon to an elderly dog could very well kill it from overt
neurological toxicity. These poisons are hard on the liver, kidneys,
lungs and endocrine system. Some dogs develop acute pancreatitis
following exposure to organophosphates. As others have suggested, these
compounds wreak havoc on the environment and many are quite persistent.

Please consult with a good veterinarian in your vicinity. Try to obtain
some Frontline spray. Continue to use the topical monthly, but also use
the spray once a month during tick season, staggered two weeks. Inspect
your dogs feet and ears, etc., daily. Use a few pumps of the Frontline
spray on any areas were young ticks are attracted to your dog as often
as you need to prevent their attachment.

Again - consult your veterinarian. If you don't think their advice is
working, find another one based on local recommendation. Too many pets
suffer at the hands of well-intentioned owners willing to take the
advice of laypersons who, though also rarely having nothing but the best
intentions, have simply been lucky not to have killed their own pet with
their enthusiastic advice.

[IMG] code is On

Perimeter spray for ticks JackRabbit Gardening 3 28-04-2005 12:12 PM
Worm Bin & Ticks / Neem John T. Jarrett Gardening 8 28-05-2004 05:02 AM
TICKS AND MOSQUITOES Hound [email protected] Gardening 2 27-05-2004 03:02 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM
Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks Lar Gardening 25 07-05-2003 08:44 PM