GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Low Cost Automatic Waterer for Outdoor or Greenhouse (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196942-low-cost-automatic-waterer-outdoor-greenhouse.html)

dimsey 12-05-2011 10:57 AM

Low Cost Automatic Waterer for Outdoor or Greenhouse

I plan to be away from home for 3-4 weeks, and had bought citrus plants for my lean-to. So I created a very low cost waterer (about £8. including demi-john). It consists of a demi-john part filled with water, inlet and outlet pipes through a non-porous bung. The outlet and inlet are controlled by non-return valves (pet fish anti-syphon valves). As the days temperature increases water is pumped by air expansion from the demi-john towards the plant. As the day cools in the evening water is sucked from a reservoir by the air contracting. I've a number now, with delivery from 50 to 300ml per day.
A nice feature is that on cool days less is pumped and the night gives time for drainage to occur. By altering the volume of air trapped in the demi-john, you alter the volume delivered per day.
I use it indoors and outdoors

I noticed a few postings about absent watering and so for me, this is my solution.

jim42 13-05-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimsey (Post 921096)
[...]

Check out our website for help. Water Cannon

dimsey 14-05-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim42 (Post 921233)
Check out our website for help. Water Cannon

I don't understand your reply. What website? What help do you think I have asked for?