GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I am prepared to be shot down..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/197174-i-am-prepared-shot-down.html)

kathateria 22-05-2011 12:03 PM

I am prepared to be shot down.....

I have a long border,and want to do as little weeding as possible!
I know its lazy, but Ive put some weed control sheeting down,while I decide whats best to plant.
im in Shropshire. Soil is clumpy,mixed with multi purpose recently. Acidic I think.
The border is about 30ft
By a fence,so partial shade.
I have a lovely wild blue geranium,2 clamatis, 2 tall blue flowers (sorry,I cant remember the names)some thing like dilphania!
2 red leaved plants, mum said they produce runners.The leaves are a bit like mini caster oil plants leaves.
Forget me nots.
I want some larger shrubs, with ground coverage,so the weeds wont be as noticable.
I would like some thing other than blue flowers.But flowering shrubs are a must!
Suggestions? Cheers

lannerman 22-05-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathateria (Post 922335)
I have a long border,and want to do as little weeding as possible!
I know its lazy, but Ive put some weed control sheeting down,while I decide whats best to plant.
im in Shropshire. Soil is clumpy,mixed with multi purpose recently. Acidic I think.
The border is about 30ft
By a fence,so partial shade.
I have a lovely wild blue geranium,2 clamatis, 2 tall blue flowers (sorry,I cant remember the names)some thing like dilphania!
2 red leaved plants, mum said they produce runners.The leaves are a bit like mini caster oil plants leaves.
Forget me nots.
I want some larger shrubs, with ground coverage,so the weeds wont be as noticable.
I would like some thing other than blue flowers.But flowering shrubs are a must!
Suggestions? Cheers

Hi Kathateria, Having gone to the trouble to put the sheeting down, why dont you leave it there and plant into it ? This will ensure that your mantainence will be minimal. As to what to plant, I think that is really up to you, personally, I would be planting in groups and using shrubs that give foliage colour and texture (as you have this year round) most do flower but treat the flowers as a bonus.
Lannerman