GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet pea stems (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/197435-sweet-pea-stems.html)

Higgs Boson 26-05-2011 10:52 PM

Sweet pea stems

Why do they get shorter as the Sweet Pea season wears on? At first,
the flowers have nice long stems, but as the season draws to a close,
stems are much shorter.

Inquiring minds...

HB

lannerman 29-05-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 923507)
Why do they get shorter as the Sweet Pea season wears on? At first,
the flowers have nice long stems, but as the season draws to a close,
stems are much shorter.

Inquiring minds...

HB

Hi HB, interesting but could it be that when they first start flowering, the days are quite long giving more growing hours for these stems to develope ? Also, as you get more and more flowers (as the season wears on) the 'energy' within the plant, has to be divided between many more stems ??

lannerman 29-05-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 923507)
Why do they get shorter as the Sweet Pea season wears on? At first,
the flowers have nice long stems, but as the season draws to a close,
stems are much shorter.

Inquiring minds...

HB

Hi HB, interesting but could it be that when they first start flowering, the days are quite long giving more growing hours for these stems to develope ? Also, as you get more and more flowers (as the season wears on) the 'energy' within the plant, has to be divided between many more stems ??
I'm sure that if you removed some of the many flower stems being produced later in the season, the ones left would also be bigger and longer ? A bit like the principle of disbudding chrysanthemums to produce larger flowers ??
Lannerman

Higgs Boson 01-06-2011 09:01 AM

Sweet pea stems

On May 26, 2:52*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Why do they get shorter as the Sweet Pea season wears on? *At first,
the flowers have nice long stems, but as the season draws to a close,
stems are much shorter.

Inquiring minds...

HB

I wish somebody would answer this. Have been wondering about it for
decades, every time their season draws to a close.

HB

Amos Nomore 01-06-2011 09:57 AM

Sweet pea stems

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On May 26, 2:52*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Why do they get shorter as the Sweet Pea season wears on? *At first,
the flowers have nice long stems, but as the season draws to a close,
stems are much shorter.

Inquiring minds...

HB

I wish somebody would answer this. Have been wondering about it for
decades, every time their season draws to a close.

I'd imagine it involves early devotion of resources to attaining stature
and structure followed by an emphasis on flower and seed production as
light intensity and photoperiod increase.