GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Possibly a garden disaster (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/197899-possibly-garden-disaster.html)

Paul M. Cook 02-06-2011 12:23 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

Weather here in SoCal has been freakishly cool. May saw day temps in the
low 70s, many days of cloudy skies and nights in the very low 50s. I waited
until May 1st to get everyone in the ground since April was just way too
cold. This tiome of year the days should be mid 80s and nights around low
60s. So far my cucurbits have completely stalled out. All of them, the
zukes, the cukes and the melon are still just cotyledons with very tiny
first leaves. Now they have all begun to yellow. All of them are
distinctly yellow at this point, actually. And the cotyledons have not
grown like they usually do, they are still quite small. I am sure it is
just too cool for them. The four tomatoe varieties are not doing great but
they are doing something. My question is are the cucurbits salvageable or
should I plan on starting all over again? The SoCal growing season is
pretty short. If I don't have fruit on the vine by the time August roles
around I won't have any at all. So this is a hard call for me to make. If
there is hope for them I can wait otherwise I have to replant and now.

David E. Ross[_2_] 02-06-2011 04:18 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

On 6/1/11 3:23 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Are you in a coastal area? Where I live (near Thousand Oaks), May had
10 Days with temperatures at or above 80, reaching 94 on 5 May. We had
18 nights at 50 or above, when tomatoes will set fruit.

In my neighborhood, May has an average nighttime low of 53 and an
average daytime high of 78. Our nights and days this May were
definitely cooler than average.

We did have 0.39 inchs of rain, which is quite a lot for May in southern
California. It's possible that your cucurbits got too much water.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Paul M. Cook 02-06-2011 04:45 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm zone 9B. So too much water will stunt them and turn them yellow? Are
they salvageable or are they dying? I have not watered them but 2 times in
10 days.

Paul

Higgs Boson 02-06-2011 05:03 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

On Jun 1, 3:23*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
Weather here in SoCal has been freakishly cool. *May saw day temps in the
low 70s, many days of cloudy skies and nights in the very low 50s. *I waited
until May 1st to get everyone in the ground since April was just way too
cold. *This tiome of year the days should be mid 80s and nights around low
60s.

Yup, it's FUBAR. Freezing today, with strong wind. Good only for
drying clothes.
And they say Global Warming is a myth! I've been watching this
weather (So Calif coastal) for [censored] years, and I'm here to tell
you this is NOT normal!
May/Gray and June/Gloom are familiar phenomena, but not this COLD!

*So far my cucurbits have completely stalled out. *All of them, the
zukes, the cukes and the melon are still just cotyledons with very tiny
first leaves. *Now they have all begun to yellow. *All of them are
distinctly yellow at this point, actually. *And the cotyledons have not
grown like they usually do, they are still quite small. *I am sure it is
just too cool for them. *The four tomatoe varieties are not doing great but
they are doing something. *

Mine have plenty tomatoes on board; keep my fingers crossed.

My question is are the cucurbits salvageable or
should I plan on starting all over again? *The SoCal growing season is
pretty short. *

WHAAATTT???!!! Whachewtallkinbout! I grow all year. Just rotate the
crops according to the season.

If I don't have fruit on the vine by the time August roles (rolls)
around I won't have any at all. *So this is a hard call for me to make. *If
there is hope for them I can wait otherwise I have to replant and now.

I'm just putting melon seeds in now. But that's because I'm good at
putting off clearing the ground for new crops.

HB

Bob F 02-06-2011 04:32 PM

Possibly a garden disaster

Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Make a plastic cover for the plants - a cloche. That will help a lot, and is how
early gardeners here in seattle get started.

David E. Ross[_2_] 02-06-2011 05:50 PM

Possibly a garden disaster

On 6/1/11 7:45 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

It's been too many years since I had a vegetable garden, so I can't be
sure of what you should do. Yellowing is often a sign of root rot cause
by excessive water. I don't think you can undo the damage by allowing
the soil to dry somewhat.

David E. Ross[_2_] 02-06-2011 05:51 PM

Possibly a garden disaster

On 6/2/11 7:32 AM, Bob F wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Do that, and the first sunny day will give you cooked vegetables.

David E. Ross[_2_] 02-06-2011 05:55 PM

Possibly a garden disaster

On 6/1/11 8:03 PM, Higgs Boson wrote [in part]:
On Jun 1, 3:23 pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote [also in part]:

My question is are the cucurbits salvageable or
should I plan on starting all over again? The SoCal growing season is
pretty short.

WHAAATTT???!!! Whachewtallkinbout! I grow all year. Just rotate the
crops according to the season.

Oops! I missed this.

HB is very correct. Produce is grown on the Oxnard Plain (about 50
miles from downtown Los Angeles) year round, merely adjusting what is
grown by the expected amount of heat and cold.

Paul M. Cook 02-06-2011 08:50 PM

Possibly a garden disaster

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
On 6/1/11 8:03 PM, Higgs Boson wrote [in part]:
On Jun 1, 3:23 pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote [also in part]:

My question is are the cucurbits salvageable or
should I plan on starting all over again? The SoCal growing season is
pretty short.

WHAAATTT???!!! Whachewtallkinbout! I grow all year. Just rotate the
crops according to the season.

Oops! I missed this.

HB is very correct. Produce is grown on the Oxnard Plain (about 50
miles from downtown Los Angeles) year round, merely adjusting what is
grown by the expected amount of heat and cold.

I should have saidd short season for what I grow.

Anyway, I yanked them all. I'll start over again. This time I'm using a
dwarf melon called Minnesota Midget for the chilly SoCal summer weather.
Hopefully the weather will be more agreeable to this next attempt. No sign
of root rot. Just very yellow stunted plants.

Paul

Bob F 03-06-2011 01:36 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/2/11 7:32 AM, Bob F wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

People do it all the time.

Kay Lancaster 03-06-2011 04:01 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:23:42 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
60s. So far my cucurbits have completely stalled out. All of them, the
zukes, the cukes and the melon are still just cotyledons with very tiny
first leaves. Now they have all begun to yellow. All of them are

Replant the cucurbits -- if they're still with cotyledons, you can get
new seedlings to that stage in a week.

We're having Junuary up here near Portland again this year. 42oF when I got
up this morning; doesn't feel like it's made 55 today. I think we've broken
70o once this year.

Billy[_10_] 03-06-2011 08:23 AM

Possibly a garden disaster

In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:23:42 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
60s. So far my cucurbits have completely stalled out. All of them, the
zukes, the cukes and the melon are still just cotyledons with very tiny
first leaves. Now they have all begun to yellow. All of them are

Replant the cucurbits -- if they're still with cotyledons, you can get
new seedlings to that stage in a week.

We're having Junuary up here near Portland again this year. 42oF when I got
up this morning; doesn't feel like it's made 55 today. I think we've broken
70o once this year.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...609902/1350?Ti
tle=Weather-interfering-with-grape-pollination
Weather interfering with grape pollination

The late-season downpour hitting Northern California is threatening to
devastate this year's grape crop, making it potentially the third
weather event in the last four years to wreak havoc on vineyards.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/