GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Scent v perfume v fragrance (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/198194-scent-v-perfume-v-fragrance.html)

Drobium 12-06-2011 05:14 PM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly. eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away. eg honeysuckle.

Doghouse Riley 12-06-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drobium (Post 926560)
I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly. eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away. eg honeysuckle.

The dictionary description of Scent is "Discern by smell." So I'd agree with this as you'd have to sniff something, to recognise its smell.

Manufacturers describe their perfumes as "fragrances," so take your choice there.
I'd consider "perfumes" as specifics and "fragrances" as a collective noun.
I'd personally use either scent or fragrance describe the scent of wisteria blooms in the air (of which we have many). But I don't think it really matters which word you use. I just enjoy the sensation.

[email protected] 12-06-2011 10:34 PM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

Drobium writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

--
Dan Espen

Frank 12-06-2011 11:02 PM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but
you would not call it a perfume ;)

Brooklyn1 12-06-2011 11:26 PM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:02:48 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but
you would not call it a perfume ;)

Wouldn't that be aroma... and I don't mean some unbathed dago! lol

Frank 13-06-2011 12:21 AM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but
you would not call it a perfume ;)

Wouldn't that be aroma... and I don't mean some unbathed dago! lol

Lot of us aren't fond of you either.

Billy[_10_] 13-06-2011 12:55 AM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but
you would not call it a perfume ;)

Wouldn't that be aroma... and I don't mean some unbathed dago! lol

Lot of us aren't fond of you either.

Bordering on intolerant.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Billy[_10_] 13-06-2011 12:57 AM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

In article ,
Drobium wrote:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

How about gaucy?

gaucy: fat, comely (pleasant to look at; attractive), jolly.

Brooklyn1 13-06-2011 01:05 AM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:55:25 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
writes:

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.
What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly.
eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a
flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away.
eg honeysuckle.

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but
you would not call it a perfume ;)

Wouldn't that be aroma... and I don't mean some unbathed dago! lol

Lot of us aren't fond of you either.

Bordering on intolerant.

Ask me if I care what yoose Life-Of-The-Party pointy headed imbeciles
think... not that yoose are capable of thinking... especially you,
Bullylgoat Schtink. Notice your initials...

Frank 13-06-2011 01:31 AM

Scent v perfume v fragrance

On Jun 12, 8:05*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:55:25 -0700, Billy
wrote:

*wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
* writes:

[...]

I have to surmise that you are one of these posters that get their
jollies by getting responses.
Print this out and do what you will with it.

Drobium 13-06-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank (Post 926625)
On Jun 12, 8:05*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:55:25 -0700, Billy
wrote:

*wrote:

On 6/12/2011 5:34 PM, wrote:
* writes:

[...]

Heck! there seems to be a little 'off topic' thing going on here but I can't seem to put my finger on it??? hmmm?
I smell a .........