Old 17-06-2011, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default String trimmer replacement heads

I have a 2 cycle gas string trimmer.
I finally wore out the bang-on-the-ground string trimmer head.
Pretty much fell apart from being smashed on the ground to get
it to feed new string, which it rarely did.

I see you can get either bump and feed or heads that take fixed
lengths of string.

Are there bump and feed units that work or should I go with
one of the units that take short lengths of string.
Any recommendations welcome.

I use the unit almost exclusively for lawn edging.

thanks in advance...

--
Dan Espen
Old 17-06-2011, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I have a 2 cycle gas string trimmer.
I finally wore out the bang-on-the-ground string trimmer head.
Pretty much fell apart from being smashed on the ground to get
it to feed new string, which it rarely did.

I see you can get either bump and feed or heads that take fixed
lengths of string.

Are there bump and feed units that work or should I go with
one of the units that take short lengths of string.
Any recommendations welcome.

I use the unit almost exclusively for lawn edging.

thanks in advance...

I prefer the fixed length strings edging. The fixed length systems require
far less cussing. Takes less than a minute to change. Can take a greater
variety of string. I buy a huge spool of string the last for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-22-Inc...f=pd_sbs_ol_13

I bought locally for hundred bucks less three years ago. I must were safety
googles this thing can throw rocks.

Old 17-06-2011, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:31:14 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

I have a 2 cycle gas string trimmer.
I finally wore out the bang-on-the-ground string trimmer head.
Pretty much fell apart from being smashed on the ground to get
it to feed new string, which it rarely did.

I see you can get either bump and feed or heads that take fixed
lengths of string.

Are there bump and feed units that work or should I go with
one of the units that take short lengths of string.
Any recommendations welcome.

I use the unit almost exclusively for lawn edging.

thanks in advance...

I prefer the fixed length strings edging. The fixed length systems require
far less cussing. Takes less than a minute to change. Can take a greater
variety of string. I buy a huge spool of string the last for years.

Agreed on all points

http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-22-Inc...f=pd_sbs_ol_13

I bought locally for hundred bucks less three years ago. I must were safety
googles this thing can throw rocks.

That looks like it can do some serious weed whacking.

I strongly suggest purchasing string trimmers from an authorized
dealer that does maintenence/repairs on premises.

I have the GT 225i, light weight with plenty of power:
http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=TRIMMER

I have the Rapid Loader head, trouble free. I've been using the same
jumbo spool of line for several years, during winter I nip off lengths
with a pair of dikes, make bundles secured with a rubberband... put
one in a pocket and head out:
http://www.echo-usa.com/videos/?cat=howto&id=25

How to choose a string trimmer:
http://www.echo-usa.com/videos/?cat=howto&id=19

Do not litter spent string, it's unsightly and a danger to critters
that may become entangled or eat it. I do not recommend string
trimming around trees/shrubs, the string will cut the bark and
eventually kill the plant.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
[...]

There is one thing. I hate the mixed oil machines. For a while there was
the snow blower, trimmer and chain saws. I ditched the mixed gas/oil
machines and went towards all gas. Exception is the chainsaws and I hate
them. Gasohol wrecked one, wrecked another when I forgot the oil mix and
used straight gas. I am thinking my next chainsaw will be electric, battery
or with a portable generator. So far I think of chainsaws as disposable
item that does not last. That is why I like my swisher trimmer it uses
straight gas.

Old 17-06-2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

[...]

http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-22-Inc...tton/dp/B00221
Q2ZW/ref=pd_sbs_ol_13

[...]

The battery powered equipment are weak, and when it's time to replace
the battery you find it costs about as much as as the equipment costs
new.

Electric tools are inexpensive, and reliable, if you have a nearby
outlet.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Old 17-06-2011, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:18:30 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

[...]

Didn't you have separate cans marked for 4 cycle and 2 cycle? Boy
would you be in trouble if you had to use diesel too. I wouldn't want
an electric chain saw if it were a gift free for nothing, I toss it
where it belongs, in the trash.
Old 17-06-2011, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:35:49 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

[...]

Many corded electric tools are perfectly fine, like drill motors,
sanders, etc., but electric chain saws are extremely dangerous out in
the field, too easy to get tangled with the wire when avoiding a
falling tree.
Old 17-06-2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I have really limited use for a chain saw.
Maybe once a year.
I just took down my ancient dogwood with it.
For at least 30 years I've been using the same electric model
and never regretted buying it.

Really depends on what you need it for.

--
Dan Espen
Old 17-06-2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

The trash is typically were the chain saws go also after two years.

Yes I have separate cans, but I forgot to add the oil to the can. Today
only the chain saws need oil and I keep the small one gallon can with the
saws. The John Deere uses diesel and the day I mess up that machine is the
day I check myself into a convalescent home. I wish Aricept was available
over the counter, my doc won't give it to me, says I do not need it... Yet.

Still I wish the saws were built to last and use regular gas.

Old 17-06-2011, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

snips

I wouldn't want an electric chain saw if it were a gift
free for nothing, I toss it
where it belongs, in the trash.

I have really limited use for a chain saw.
Maybe once a year.
I just took down my ancient dogwood with it.
For at least 30 years I've been using the same electric model
and never regretted buying it.
Really depends on what you need it for.

Same here - maybe twice a year -
- limb wood for the backyard fire pit.
For small limbs - I prefer the little swede saw.
A bunch of 6 inch limbs will wear out my arm.
The little electric goes through them fine.
John T.

Old 17-06-2011, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

snips

Many corded electric tools are perfectly fine, like drill motors,
sanders, etc., but electric chain saws are extremely dangerous out in
the field, too easy to get tangled with the wire when avoiding a
falling tree.

I've never seen a tree-felling electric chain saw ..
The ones that I've seen are 14 inch - 16 inch bar
- but not meant for any heavy work - it's obvious.
That said - the cord IS a nuisance - and perhaps a hazard.
John T.

Old 17-06-2011, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

That's also true. But for a dogwood you really don't need a chain
saw, a bowsaw would do the job easily... I carry a 24" bowsaw and a
lopper on my tractor, there are always small dead trees that have
fallen onto where I mow. Usually in early spring and after a
windstorm I find large trees and limbs that have fallen, then I get my
Jonsered, best chainsaw I ever used:
http://www.jonsered.com/us/east/chainsaws/cs-2245-s/
I don't use it often but there are a couple three times each year when
it sure comes in handy.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default String trimmer replacement heads - electric chainsaws

wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:31:14 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

Didn't you have separate cans marked for 4 cycle and 2 cycle? Boy
would you be in trouble if you had to use diesel too. I wouldn't want
an electric chain saw if it were a gift free for nothing, I toss it
where it belongs, in the trash.

I have really limited use for a chain saw.
Maybe once a year.
I just took down my ancient dogwood with it.
For at least 30 years I've been using the same electric model
and never regretted buying it.

Really depends on what you need it for.

That's also true. But for a dogwood you really don't need a chain
saw, a bowsaw would do the job easily...

Actually dogwood is one of the hardest woods known.
I don't have a bow saw, but I tried a pruning saw on one of the limbs.
For about 10 seconds.

I don't mind hard work, in fact I seek it out but sawing though my
ancient 6 inch diameter dogwood is something I'd much rather do with
something electric.

I carry a 24" bowsaw and a
lopper on my tractor, there are always small dead trees that have
fallen onto where I mow. Usually in early spring and after a
windstorm I find large trees and limbs that have fallen, then I get my
Jonsered, best chainsaw I ever used:
http://www.jonsered.com/us/east/chainsaws/cs-2245-s/
I don't use it often but there are a couple three times each year when
it sure comes in handy.

Obviously tractors and electric chainsaws don't mix well.
I'm on 3/4 of an acre and have electric cords to reach everywhere.

--
Dan Espen
Old 18-06-2011, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
writes:

snips

Many corded electric tools are perfectly fine, like drill motors,
sanders, etc., but electric chain saws are extremely dangerous out in
the field, too easy to get tangled with the wire when avoiding a
falling tree.

I've never seen a tree-felling electric chain saw ..
The ones that I've seen are 14 inch - 16 inch bar
- but not meant for any heavy work - it's obvious.
That said - the cord IS a nuisance - and perhaps a hazard.

Ancient dogwood 20ft high, about 6 inches diameter at the base.
Felled and cut into lengths I could carry to the curb in a half
hour.

My other trees are mostly 30+ inch Tulip Poplars and Oaks.
Felling them myself is out of the question.

I find the cord easy to manage.
I've used gas powered chain saws.
I can't agree that one is more dangerous than the other,
providing you are using the right size tool for the job.

I do not need to drop any trees. The chain saw is mostly for trimming trees
and clearing paths from down limbs and small newly growing trees. It is the
vibration of the machines that also bugs me. I have heard that electrics
are easier to handle, run smoother and last longer. Time is something I
have lots of. So if the battery plays out, I can wait until the next day.
Battery or cord with a generator?