GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long to keep Palm tree supports before removal??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1985-how-long-keep-palm-tree-supports-before-removal.html)

Stu 25-02-2003 01:03 PM

How long to keep Palm tree supports before removal???

A Sabal Palm was leaning towards my house and it was straightened and
supported by 2x4's. How long before they may be removed?

BoyntonStu

animaux 25-02-2003 03:27 PM

On 25 Feb 2003 05:02:46 -0800, (Stu) wrote:

A Sabal Palm was leaning towards my house and it was straightened and
supported by 2x4's. How long before they may be removed?

BoyntonStu

Remove it and if it still leans, put it back onto the supports. Leave them on
till it no longer tilts. It's a double edge sword type thing because the longer
you have supports on it, the less the wind will force the roots to really grab
in and hold it up straight.

I have some fan palms which are now about 6 feet tall. They lean as well. I
shored the base of them with large chunks of limestone I had laying around from
my garden paths. That way the plant still moves in the wind and can, over the
long haul develop a good root system to hold it in the soil, straight. They are
always going to be top heavy, with shallow roots (for the most part).

Hope that helps.