Old 30-06-2011, 12:30 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, two acres
of which are cleared and developed. I have areas away from the house area
in which I need water access for watering plants, flowers, etc. Ideally, I
would love to have about three faucets in areas that are up to about 400
feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of "T's" add
several branches (hoses) to allow me to water in several selected areas.
But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be pretty expensive, and it all
seems so "temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of about
500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the name of the
current most common), and then run my hose branches from that ? (The main
line would have to lay on the ground, through the woods). Whatever I use,
I need to be able to drain the line during winters, but I suppose I could
get fittings for this equipped with a drain screw or valve or something.

Any ideas of what I should look for, or use ? Any general ideas of how to
accomplish what I am trying to do ?

thanks !!

James

Old 30-06-2011, 12:36 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 6/29/2011 7:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:
[...]

Poly pipe is great for underground lines. It doesn't lay flat very well
so I'm not sure how it would work above ground. Here's a link:
http://www.aquascience.net/pipe/index.cfm?id=552

Old 30-06-2011, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

RBM wrote:
[...]

A small air compressor can blow the lines clear of water for the winter.
Fifteen pounds of pressure should do the job. I use a quick release adapter
for the compressor and the adapter attached to a short water hose. Just
make sure the end of the line is open for drainage. I just use the
underground lines just for watering the plants around my home, not in
distant areas.

The biggest problem you are going to have is water pressure at the end of
500 feet depending on the pressure you already have. An extra water tank
could be used that is under greater pressure than the household pressure
could solve that problem if needed, but not a cheap option. Or slowly fill
up a cistern at the end of the line and use pump to water the area needed.

Again depending on your home water pressure, those extra methods may not be
needed.

Old 30-06-2011, 02:37 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

RBM wrote:
[...]

You don't say where this water is coming from. Is it town water, well
water, what?

If you are laying pipe then poly pipe is what you need, it will be the
cheapest choice for such a distance. All the fittings you would ever want
are available. It can be laid underground if the ground isn't too rocky.
The quickest method is with a ripper/feeder on a tractor. This is a blade
that cuts a slit trench that has a metal tube behind it, you feed the poly
down the tube into the slit as the tractor moves at walking pace, then you
tred the slit down and it's done.

OTOH it can also be laid along fences on top of the ground. If going to
this much trouble don't do it in 12mm (1/2 inch pipe) but somewhere around
32mm (1 1/4 ") to 40mm (1 1/2 "). This solution depends on what is pumping
the water and how much rise or fall there is along the length. The joints
in polypipe are easily undone to allow draining by gravity, ground slope
permitting.

A quite different solution: what about saving water adjacent to the area
that you want to water? I am thinking of a tank collecting water from the
roof of an outbuilding or a small dam/pond in a gully.

David

Old 30-06-2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

It would help to know what water volume, how often, and what climate.
If you'e on a well your system may not be capable of raising water
very high so it would help to know your topography. Six acres is not
very much area, if essentially square then the distance from center to
the perimeter is not very far. If there is a centrally located high
point you might consider erecting a tank, either on the ground or on a
tower... fill the tank with a pump and let gravity work with hose(s)
to reach your various watering points. Personally for watering a few
plants here and there I'd fit a wagon with a tank and with a tractor
tow the water wagon to whatever needs watering... that is exactly how
I water my plants... if you ever tried to drag a couple of hundred
feet of hose, especially filled with water you'd soon give that up.
And attempting to bury pipe in forested/raw land without heavy
excavating equipment is practically impossible.

Old 30-06-2011, 04:01 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 6/29/11 6:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:
[...]

I wonder if you could find some used hand move sprinkler line.
The stuff I'm thinking of is 4" aluminum and has a coupler for a
sprinkler at each joint. It usually came in 30' or 40' sections.
You could just pull it apart to drain it or put a valve at a joint
now and then.
One drawback might be its temptation to thieves.
Old 30-06-2011, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
[...]

I have done the wagon thing, it is a pain in the... Takes time to fill them
up and time to drain it. I however typically use the lengthy hose. I have
four one hundred foot lite weight hoses with quick connectors. I mean do
not get the heavy duty hoses because they are heavy. I can set up the hoses
and take them down in less than thirty minutes. I often use a soaker hose
or soaker wand at the receiving end because pressure is diminished for
spraying.

One thing about lite weight hoses. Do not leave the hose set up in the hot
sun with the pressure on and water not flowing. The water will heat up and
bust the hose on a hot day. But lite weight hoses are easy to carry or put
in a garden wagon.

One can rent a walk behind "Ditch Witch" for digging trenches. Four hundred
feet would take eight hours depending on terrain. Some cheap "Ditch
Witches" can beat you up at the end of the day, good models will not.

Old 30-06-2011, 05:19 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"James Nipper" wrote in message
net...
[...]

I don't know what country you're in but I use polypipe to take water all
over the place and since a lot of it has now been in place for up to 20
years, I don't consider it to be temporary.

I use 2 inch, 1 inch and three quarter inch. Very little of this is laid
underground except for perhaps 20 ft of the 2 inch stuff that forms a main
artery. Some of the 1 inch and three quarters of an inch stuff has become
covered over the eyars as drebris drops on top of it. I have a main 2 inch
line coming from our big tank (cistern in USian) and then I run one inch and
3/4 inch withint the veg garden and in the orchard and down to the chook pen
and also from another 2 inch pipe down at the pond at the bottom of the
garden.

Lay it out on a hot summers day when the sun helps it to lie out better and
carry some hot water to do all the connections and it's an easy job. One
hint would be that if you manage to find little sprinkler heads that you
like, buy a truck load. I am reduced to 2 heads of my favourites.

Old 30-06-2011, 05:21 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
[...]

Good Lord. That stuff would now have antique value wouldn't it Dean?

Old 30-06-2011, 06:47 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

[...]

Go to your local hardware store, find an old guy, then tell him what
you want to do. He can show you what is available there in the store
and give you suggestions.

Old 30-06-2011, 12:50 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

First thing comes to mind, is sunlight and the UV rays. So,
what you use should be UV resistant.

White PVC tubing might work for a while. The cost of
fittings might add up. Typically sold in 10 foot lengths,
and the tubing is relatively rigid.

The new "Pex" stuff they sell for indoor water tubing may
work, but not sure how UV resistant it is.

They also sell some grey tubing for electrical conduit,
which might be more UV resistant, but not sure it's used for
outdoor water.

As to winter, may be able to to blow it out with compressed
air, and leave it dry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James Nipper" wrote in
message
net...

Old 30-06-2011, 12:53 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

If you have a garden tractor and trailer of some kind. A 12
volt "spot sprayer" from Harbor Freight may make more sense
than running water tubing from the house.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ayer-9583.html
Fill it at the house, drive it out in the trailer, and spray
with the garden tractor motor running to supply power.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James Nipper" wrote in
message
net...

Old 30-06-2011, 12:54 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

80 cents a foot? That's more pricey than garden hose?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 30-06-2011, 02:56 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 6/29/2011 6:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:
[...]

you could use PEX or PVC, but both are weakened by long term exposure to
UV (sun) So you'd have to paint them with some light colored exterior
latex after laying them out. I'd suspect they'd give you 5 or 6 years
service without paint. (my experience) then they start to get brittle.

--
Steve Barker
Old 30-06-2011, 03:22 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Stormin Mormon wrote:
80 cents a foot? That's more pricey than garden hose?

A 500 foot garden hose isn't going to pass much water.