GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Viburnum Suckering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/198576-viburnum-suckering.html)

Stacy Kanan 30-06-2011 03:13 AM

Viburnum Suckering

Do I have to cut the suckers? I have 3 vb that have been in place for
5 years. This year they are suckering like crazy! I can't keep up
with the pruning. Do I really have to cut the suckers?

FarmI 30-06-2011 05:08 AM

Viburnum Suckering

"Stacy Kanan" wrote in message
Do I have to cut the suckers? I have 3 vb that have been in place for
5 years. This year they are suckering like crazy! I can't keep up
with the pruning. Do I really have to cut the suckers?

What sort of Viburnum?

My Viburnum opulus sterile, Viburnum tinus and some other sort of viburnum
of which I have no idea what sort, all sucker like crazy. I didn't plant
many of these, but it was because of their suckering ability and thus the
way they'd hedge and fill a space that resulted in them being planted in the
first place.

Stacy Kanan 01-07-2011 03:58 PM

Viburnum Suckering

On Jun 30, 12:08*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Stacy Kanan" wrote in message

Do I have to cut the suckers? *I have 3 vb that have been in place for
5 years. *This year they are suckering like crazy! *I can't keep up
with the pruning. *Do I really have to cut the suckers?

What sort of Viburnum?

My Viburnum opulus sterile, Viburnum tinus and some other sort of viburnum
of which I have no idea what sort, all sucker like crazy. *I didn't plant
many of these, but it was because of their suckering ability and thus the
way they'd hedge and fill a space that resulted in them being planted in the
first place.

I don't actually recall the variety. I've tried looking them up but
just am not sure. I was able to move suckers a couple of years ago
that has resulted in a new bush (albeit quite small still yet). And,
I wouldn't have an issue with it turning into a hedge. I have a
similar one by itself somewhere else in the yard. It's suckering like
crazy this year too--I've got suckers coming up in the grass! I worry
that a barefoot kid is gonna get hurt....