GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cucumber seedlings from nurseries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/198579-cucumber-seedlings-nurseries.html)

Paul M. Cook 30-06-2011 07:28 AM

Cucumber seedlings from nurseries

Since I lost my cucumbers again I decided to try some seedlings this time.
Went to Lowes. I found the variety I always like to grow but the pots each
had 4 seedlings in them. They looked pretty healthy but I am not sure if
they would thrive. What does one do, just break them apart, cut them apart,
maybe soak them to rinse off the soil and tease them apart? I've read and
experienced that cucurbits are sensitive to root damage. But I cannot see
buying a single pot with 4 seedlings just to destroy three of them as some
have suggested elsewhere.

songbird[_2_] 30-06-2011 02:56 PM

Paul M. Cook wrote:

Since I lost my cucumbers again I decided to try some seedlings this time.
Went to Lowes. I found the variety I always like to grow but the pots each
had 4 seedlings in them. They looked pretty healthy but I am not sure if
they would thrive. What does one do, just break them apart, cut them apart,
maybe soak them to rinse off the soil and tease them apart? I've read and
experienced that cucurbits are sensitive to root damage. But I cannot see
buying a single pot with 4 seedlings just to destroy three of them as some
have suggested elsewhere.

you can try to tease them apart, but it being
so late that kind of damage is likely going to
set the plants even further behind even if they
survive.

so you are at the point where you plant them
and then give them a week to get going and when
you notice them crowding you pinch off the
weakest two or three.

while you are at it i'd also replace the top
layer of soil in the planters.

songbird

Paul M. Cook 30-06-2011 06:25 PM

"songbird" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I see that. For all the fascination I have for the natural world, I
tell ya, the whole insectida class can just kiss my you know what right
about now.

Paul

Billy[_10_] 30-06-2011 10:32 PM

Cucumber seedlings from nurseries

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Since I lost my cucumbers again I decided to try some seedlings this time.
Went to Lowes. I found the variety I always like to grow but the pots each
had 4 seedlings in them. They looked pretty healthy but I am not sure if
they would thrive. What does one do, just break them apart, cut them apart,
maybe soak them to rinse off the soil and tease them apart? I've read and
experienced that cucurbits are sensitive to root damage. But I cannot see
buying a single pot with 4 seedlings just to destroy three of them as some
have suggested elsewhere.

IIRC Kay Lancaster told me about this.

Remove from pot

Hold plants between thumb and index finger with dirt and roots across
the palm of the hand

Hose the roots from bottom to top, repeat as needed

With most of the dirt removed, tease the roots apart, again from the
bottom to the top

Repot
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Paul M. Cook 01-07-2011 06:47 AM

Cucumber seedlings from nurseries

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

I may try it. I was over at Lowes again today and the offerings were pretty
sad. Most of them had powdery mildew or leaf miners. This growing season
is looking to be a very bad one. Last year was great but this year is
turning out to be a real disappointment.

Paul