GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   self-watering of tomatoes plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/198835-re-self-watering-tomatoes-plants.html)

John McGaw 13-07-2011 08:11 PM

self-watering of tomatoes plants

On 7/13/2011 5:34 AM, ackeiyword wrote:
In my bid to promote self watering of my tomatoes I have filled a couple
of empty milk bottles, made a hole with a heated NEEDLE (so we are
talking about a tiny hole) underneath hoping that the water would last
at least a couple of days, and placed the bottle next to the tomato
plant...

The 6 pints bottle was empty after about three hours! What have I done
wrong? I did leave the lid on. Other suggestions?

The hole may not be so tiny as you believe. Or, if you are filling the
bottles fully with cold water, they may be pressurizing when placed in the
sun and literally start spraying their contents.