GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lucky Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/1989-lucky-bamboo.html)

Merrill Speeter 25-02-2003 03:51 PM

Lucky Bamboo

How can you propagate the so called "Lucky Bamboo"

Claude 25-02-2003 04:27 PM

Lucky Bamboo

Hello!

The so called Lucky Bamboo is really a Dracaena!

You can propagate it in water, let it root then plant it in dirt.
A Dracaena will last about 2 years in water only !

Bye

Claude

Marion Margoshes 25-02-2003 04:27 PM

Lucky Bamboo

Merrill Speeter wrote:

How can you propagate the so called "Lucky Bamboo"

It is a draecena.

Cereoid+10+ 25-02-2003 04:27 PM

Lucky Bamboo

Propagate it from stem cuttings.

The so-called "Luck Bamboo" is neither lucky nor a bamboo. It is Dracaena
sanderiana, a flowering shrub from tropical Africa and not at all native to
the Orient or has anything to do with Feng Shui or any of that New Age
hokum. Its just a hustle perpetrated on the naive. The plant has been in
cultivation long before it gained any magical properties. The variegated
cultivar is a much better houseplant.

Visit their website for a mixture of fact, fiction and fantasy.

http://www.luckybamboomarket.com

Merrill Speeter wrote in message
om...
How can you propagate the so called "Lucky Bamboo"

hollenback 01-04-2003 03:32 AM

bamboo

What you have sounds like "lucky bamboo" it is not a real bamboo but
Dracaena sanderiana. for real bamboo check out the American Bamboo Society
website www.americanbamboo.org . The Species Source List they have lists
varieties and dealers.

Bill

Requester wrote in message ...
ok now i want to plant bamboo and create a huge forest of them behind my

house. first questino is where do you find them? i have some from a thai
store that i have in water they have roots. can i plant them outside? will
2 bamboo stalks create more and more? how do they spread?
thanks

---------------
I definitely can't live without rice!

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 01-04-2003 07:20 AM

bamboo

Requester wrote:

ok now i want to plant bamboo and create a huge forest of them behind my
house. first questino is where do you find them? i have some from a thai
store that i have in water they have roots.

That's draceana, aka "lucky bamboo," not true bamboo. Doesn't do so
well outdoors as true bamboos, which can handle anything from near-arctic
cold to tropical heat.

For true bamboos, try larger, upscale nurseries. Plan to pay. Common
golden bamboo (p. aurea) sells for about $50 per 5 gallon pot, though it
does pay back rapidly if moderately well tended.

You have choices. Aurea grows to 25 feet, tops. If you want that
"huge forest" and have room -- like several acres -- consider the
giant lumber types, such as black or moso. That last one's impressive,
with 6" "trunks" growing a foot per day up to 80 feet or better.

In between are hundreds of varieties, with differences more subtle
than dramatic. Buddha's belly is attractive, with fat, alternating
coke-bottle shaped internodes. Others feature variegated coloration,
similar to tiger stripes.

can i plant them outside? will
2 bamboo stalks create more and more? how do they spread?

They're giant grasses, and spread accordingly. Running types spread
by long underground runners, like lawn turf. Clumping types produce no
runners, so will be better behaved.

Take care with weed killers near the grove. Since (again), the
entire grove is one single plant, dosing one culm doses them all.

Penny Morgan 01-04-2003 03:56 PM

bamboo

Before you plant any bamboo, get a book from the library or search the
internet for information. Bamboo spreads very quickly and will become
invasive like you wouldn't believe. It sends runners under the soil (you
won't see them) and will invade foundations, sidewalks, pipes, etc.

If you want to have them spread behind your house in a thick forest, make
sure it is VERY FAR from your house. There are some varieties of bamboo
that are not invasive also. Do some research first. A good nursery/garden
center should be able to order some for you or recommend a place to find it.
I had some neighbors who had lots of wild bamboo behind their house and it
started to spread into the back yard. It's very hard to control and kill.
I'm sorry if I sound negative, but I don't want you to get yourself in a
nightmare situation before being warned. Like I said, there are some
beautiful varieties that are not invasive. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

John T. Jarrett 01-04-2003 04:56 PM

bamboo

The Related Links page at
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/links/linkrela.html has links to a number
of Bamboo groups and suppliers...

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Iris Cohen 01-04-2003 05:44 PM

bamboo

i want to plant bamboo and create a huge forest of them behind my house.

Where do you live? The main problem is that if you plant a forest of bamboo
behind your house, it will also spread to your neighbors' houses and clear into
the next county.

i have some from a thai store that i have in water they have roots.

That is not bamboo. It is misnamed. It is actually a Dracaena.

can i plant them outside?

The Dracaena, only if you are in Hawaii, southern Florida, or southern
California. Maybe Corpus Christi. There are bamboos that are hardy all the way
to Zone 5, but they are still vicious.

will 2 bamboo stalks create more and more?

Like the brooms in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice."

how do they spread?

Most bamboos, called running bamboos, spread by underground runners. If you are
in a warm climate, there are some bamboos, called clumping bamboos, which stay
put. They are the only ones you can use in landscaping without putting in deep
barriers to keep the running bamboos from taking over the world.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Snooze 01-04-2003 08:20 PM

bamboo

You will come to regret the day you planted bamboo. Bamboo comes in two
varieties. Clumping, and running. Clumping tends to just make a dense area
of bamboo near where you planted it. Running on the otherhand will spread
everywhere.

You can't kill it either. The previous owners had it in the back yard, I've
been trying to remove it for a year now, I've tried round-up, uprooting it,
but there are thousands of root fragments that have spread across the yard.

Decide where you want your bamboo forest to be, then dig a trench at least 8
inches deep around the forest and fill it with concrete. Make sure the
concrete rises at least 2 inches above the surface of the soil.

Bamboo, kudzu and vinca are all my list of plants that should only be
planted in the yards of your mortal enemies.

Sameer

HI HI- 01-04-2003 09:08 PM

bamboo

wow didnt know they were this serious. i just wanted a wall of them in =
my back along the border line. hmmmm
another thing i realise is that its imposible to find these for sale =
anywhere.

burl 01-04-2003 11:08 PM

bamboo

I've started to think that only Panda's should be allowed to plant bamboo.
It took us about 5 years to get some bamboo back under control.

I think it's suggested to dig in a 24" deep barrier around the bamboo. I'd
suggest renting a trencher and dropping in a metal barrier.

.. .

MARCUS 02-04-2003 02:32 AM

bamboo

Those are not bamboo, but dracenia (spelling is suspect), only bamboo that
grows in boggy terrain is the vaginatus. Beware of the hardiness (so that
you do not lose them with cold weather) and the "running" types of bamboo -
they can take over a yard in 2-3 years. For list of good bamboo visit the
"New England" bamboo site. They have good pictures and advice.

Marcus

Bob and Clara Murzynski 02-04-2003 05:44 AM

bamboo

Here is a good site on the barrier used for a runner type bamboo.

http://www.botanicalpartners.com/rhizome.htm

griffon 02-04-2003 08:56 AM

bamboo

Some of the suggestions for containment have been too shallow.

For larger and more invasive running types of bamboo, a person might
regret not making a barrier 3 feet deep.

I saw a lovely field of moso on vacation - it was mostly covering an
area of about two acres. They had dug all around it, making a trench
around two feet deep and one foot across, and then they filled the
entire trench with cement. The bamboo has been escaping. I am told
that even three feet is not foolproof for an agressive spreader that
is very happy with it's location, but it can work. Obviously you want
the barrier to go straight down as well, especially if you use one of
the bamboo liner-type containment systems. Also bamboo tends to jump
over the top edge of the containment whenever it can and has to be
hacked/clipped/chopped off to keep it in bounds.

I do not suggest running types in any backyard unless it is more of a
field than a yard. If your backyard can be measured in terms of
acreage, then that might be an idea. Just contain it well.

Also keep in mind that many types of running bamboo can run in any
direction as far as the culms are tall per year.

My first attempt at growing bamboo was to plant some golden - it was
only about four feet tall and the first year after I planted it the
bamboo had spread to a five by five area and remained fairly low. I
mulched it and added some compost and began tossing old fruit and
veggies into it since it was near my kitchen. I watered it much more
during dry spells. The next spring I had some culms around 12 feet
tall and it had spread to about 2 times the previous year's size. I
realized that I needed to research before I planted anymore.