GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lilly - black bud like growths (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/199117-lilly-black-bud-like-growths.html)

Robbo99 02-08-2011 05:18 PM

Lilly - black bud like growths

Hi, I would appreciate some advice on the following:

I have two potted lillies on a small outside terrace which have flowered already. Since flowering I have noticed that small black bud like growths have grown on the base of the top stem (where the leaf joins the stem).

Can anyone tell me what these are and whether they are part of the plant and if so what are they? If not, do I need to remove them?

I have also noticed that some of the leaves are turning yellow and black. Is this effect of Whitefly?

Thanks.

Rob B

lannerman 02-08-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbo99 (Post 931429)
Hi, I would appreciate some advice on the following:

I have two potted lillies on a small outside terrace which have flowered already. Since flowering I have noticed that small black bud like growths have grown on the base of the top stem (where the leaf joins the stem).

Can anyone tell me what these are and whether they are part of the plant and if so what are they? If not, do I need to remove them?

I have also noticed that some of the leaves are turning yellow and black. Is this effect of Whitefly?

Thanks.

Rob B

Hi Rob, dont panic, I think those little black buds are tiny bulbules that often form on lily stems, eventually, they drop off and form a new little bulb. I also think that what your seeing with the leaves is natural die-back as the foliage dies down after flowering.
Lannerman