Old 30-07-2011, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roundup Question ??

I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant
flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with
weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4 inches, but that doesn't
stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long would I
have to wait to plant the flowers ?

thanks !!

James

Old 30-07-2011, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"James" wrote:

I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant
flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with
weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4 inches, but that doesn't
stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long would I
have to wait to plant the flowers ?

thanks !!

James

This is the problem with putting chemicals in the hands of the ignorant.

You can put down newspapers and mulch to suppress weeds.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy. In addition to entitlement cuts, the so-called "Gang of Six" plan would eliminate a number of popular tax breaks and deductions, including write-offs for home mortgage interest and employer-provided health benefits. The savings would help offset the cost of then lowering the top individual and corporate tax rates from 35 percent to at least 29 percent.

America is not broke.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Vote 3rd Party
Old 30-07-2011, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/30/11 10:14 AM, James wrote:
I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant
flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with
weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4 inches, but that doesn't
stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long would I
have to wait to plant the flowers ?

thanks !!

James

Roundup is not a pre-emergent herbicide. It works only on growing
plants, not on seeds.

What kind of mulch are you using?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 30-07-2011, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Using cedar mulch.

James

Old 30-07-2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"James" wrote:

Using cedar mulch.

There's your problem... closet weeds coming out...

Old 30-07-2011, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

James wrote:
I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I
plant flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can
keep up with weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4
inches, but that doesn't stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long
would I have to wait to plant the flowers ?

thanks !!

James

Roundup only works on growing plants. There is something wrong with either
what you are using for mulch or how you are doing it.

David

Old 31-07-2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pray tell what are closet weeds ??

Old 31-07-2011, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"James" wrote:

Pray tell what are closet weeds ??

Don't worry about it. It only gets worse when you understand him.

Old 31-07-2011, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/30/11 11:25 AM, James wrote:
Using cedar mulch.

James

Cedar bark, wood chips, or needles?

Old 31-07-2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"James" wrote in message
net...
I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant
flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with
weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4 inches, but that doesn't
stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long would
I have to wait to plant the flowers ?

thanks !!

James

I bought some new stuff called Preen. It is pre-emergent, meaning you put
it on when the weeds AREN'T there, and it keeps them from sprouting. Says
it can be cultivated right into soil next to existing plants. Check it out.
I hope it works as good as it says, I have a large area that needs weed
control.

Steve

Old 31-07-2011, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

James wrote:
I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I
plant flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can
keep up with weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4
inches, but that doesn't stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long
would I have to wait to plant the flowers ?

Soaking the ground with roundup would be a waste of it. It has to be sprayed on
growing plants to work.

If you keep up with the weeding, and never let them go to seed, you will have
much less work after a couple years. If your weeds are perenials, you need to
kill them off or pull them before they have any chance to grow much greenery
every time. It is a lot easier to pull or hoe the weeds early when they are
small than it is when they get big, so do it often.

Do not let the bed grow weeds in the off season, or you just continue the
problem. Everytime a weed goes to seed, you will be fighting the weeds for more
years.

Old 31-07-2011, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
net...
I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant
flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with
weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4 inches, but that doesn't
stop these weeds).

Before I plant flowers, if I soak the ground with Roundup, how long would
I have to wait to plant the flowers ?

thanks !!

James

I bought some new stuff called Preen. It is pre-emergent, meaning you put
it on when the weeds AREN'T there, and it keeps them from sprouting. Says
it can be cultivated right into soil next to existing plants. Check it out.
I hope it works as good as it says, I have a large area that needs weed
control.

Steve

But, one man's plant is another person's weed.

Old 31-07-2011, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"James" wrote:

I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant
flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with
weeding it each week.

25 sq ft is a plot the size of an ordinary full size mattress, weeding
can't take more than 15 minutes a week... you can't be for real... do
you at least bathe once a week, I bet you think wiping your ass is too
much work.
Old 31-07-2011, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1, are most Brooklynites about on your same intellectual level, or
are most of them rather sane and decent ????

James

Old 31-07-2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

By the way, the mulch is cedar bark.

James

[IMG] code is On

Roundup Question ? James Lawns 4 31-07-2011 01:36 AM
Roundup Question Buck Turgidson Gardening 2 31-12-2004 03:29 PM
Question - using Roundup on French broom Peter Werner Gardening 2 19-08-2003 04:12 PM
roundup-application carl roberts Lawns 22 09-06-2003 01:20 PM
weedkiller, roundup, knockdown Frank Logullo Gardening 5 05-05-2003 03:44 PM