Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Why no more new fruit on my zukes?

Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Many thanks,
-T

Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/08/2011 01:08 PM, Bob F wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Fertilizer?

Dumped a bag of organic stuff on it last week. I was hoping
that would help the fruit situation but it hasn't so far.
The plants seem to love it!

Thank you for the help,

-T
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Many thanks,
-T

Do you have any bees?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Fertilizer?

Dumped a bag of organic stuff on it last week. I was hoping
that would help the fruit situation but it hasn't so far.
The plants seem to love it!

Thank you for the help,

-T

Take the flowers that are on long stems, cut one off leaving enough stem
to hold on to, and then pull their petals off. Stick it into a flower
that doesn't have a long stem. Duration, rhythm, and motion are always
individual choices. Congratulations, you are a dad.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Many thanks,
-T

Do you have any bees?

We see very few. Had some kind of parasite come through a few
year back and really hurt the bee population.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Many thanks,
-T

Do you have any bees?

We see very few. Had some kind of parasite come through a few
year back and really hurt the bee population.

Then follow Billy's recipe for doing AI for marrows.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Assuming you have no bees and without bees you need to manually pollinate.
Pick a few male flowers, peel off the petals then dab the stamen onto the
female flower's stigma. Roll it around well. It's tedious but the only way
you'll get zukes without bees.

Paul

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
[...]

Do I get to eat the children? :-D

Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/09/2011 05:49 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
wrote in message
Hi All,

I am attempting to grow zucchini this year. I am a total
beginner and no little of what I am doing.

Problem: on my four producing plants, I have lots of
flowers but no new fruit. I initially got a very nice
fruit off of each plant. But, then for the last two weeks,
nothing new. I have lots of flowers by no new fruit.
The plants seem healthy (well, to me anyway). I am puzzled.

Do I need to shake the flowers or somethings to make sure they
pollinate? Any ideas what to do?

Assuming you have no bees and without bees you need to manually pollinate.
Pick a few male flowers, peel off the petals then dab the stamen onto the
female flower's stigma. Roll it around well. It's tedious but the only way
you'll get zukes without bees.

Paul

Hi Billy and Paul,

Thank you!

I did not realize there were male and female flowers on zucchini.

Found an excellent video that show how to self pollinate (and
that the two of you are correct):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x1crwrsxj8

I have wilted female flowers shown in the video too

I was also told I was over watering the guys by a farmer friend.

-T

Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
[...]

In retrospect, it's not a bad idea ;O)

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

I just checked out all my new buds now that I can tell their
sexes apart. THEY ARE ALL DUDES! BUMMER!!! Oh well, the
soil is still drying out from all my over watering.

-T
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

Once you do get fruit don't let them get too big. You have to keep the
plant thinking it has not completed its life cycle or it will die and
shrivel up quickly. I like to grow really big zukes, like 24 inches long,
but I only get 3 or so from each plant. Overwatering may also have flushed
nutrients from the soil.

Paul

Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

The plants are loving all this attention. Leaves are even
getting bigger. Each of my five plants gave me a fruit about
14 inches long. Then stopped. I think it was after three
days of heavy thunderstorms and the ground never dried out.

Olive oil, oregano, sea salt, a sausage, and fresh zukes from
the garden. Joy!

-T

Oh yah, plant zukes. You have so many you have to fill your
neighbor's back seats with them (why you have to lock your
car doors if you live in a small town). I'm still waiting.
I think someone was funnin' me. Okay, I suck at gardening.
I can only grow dandelions and purslane. (I hear purslane is
good eating!)
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

Leaving squash fruit to grow larger in many varieties is the same as
letting leafy vegetables go to seed. If it's large long zucchini
that's desired just grow the varieties that normally produce large
long fruit. This one is excellent (aka zucchini longo), I have it
growing now: http://www.lakevalleyseed.com/Summer_p/1427.htm

[IMG] code is On

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Zukes ond gender bias Paul M. Cook Gardening 11 07-08-2010 05:14 AM
Gad zukes Paul M. Cook Gardening 2 12-07-2010 09:12 AM
Why is that fruit known as "Queen of Fruit"? Mangosteen Australia 0 20-04-2005 08:54 AM
growing zukes for seed Dawn Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2004 05:06 PM