Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese beetles seem to have a color preference

We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst," which
manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white to deep
red.

We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and
they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while
they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bert Hyman wrote:
We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst," which
manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white to deep
red.

We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and
they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while
they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.

What colour are the beetles? They may get better camouflage from predators
on some colours. Just a guess.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

In "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst,"
which manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white
to deep red.

We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and
they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while
they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.

What colour are the beetles? They may get better camouflage from
predators on some colours. Just a guess.

No Japanese beetles where you live? Lucky guy.

http://www.arbordoctor.net/beetle_20...MO _2006_.jpg

Metalic green & copper-colored body, about 0.5" long.

No natural predators in the US, although my wife goes after them with a
vengance.

They're relatively new to Minnesota and we inadvertently planted several
of their favorite plants when we upgraded our yard and garden about 10
years ago.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bert Hyman wrote in
:

In "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst,"
which manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white
to deep red.

We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and
they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while
they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.

What colour are the beetles? They may get better camouflage from
predators on some colours. Just a guess.

No Japanese beetles where you live? Lucky guy.

http://www.arbordoctor.net/beetle_20..._20_Popillia_2
0japonica__20_MO_2006_.jpg

Metalic green & copper-colored body, about 0.5" long.

No natural predators in the US, although my wife goes after them with
a vengance.

They're relatively new to Minnesota and we inadvertently planted
several of their favorite plants when we upgraded our yard and garden
about 10 years ago.

We get very few here- I have seen a couple. While I know they are mainly
diurnal predators, I can't help but think the gazillions of dragonflies
around right now have something to do with it. I sat out on my deck
yesterday evening and saw at least three D-flies catch some kind of flying
critter. Wish I had a good camera!

Chris
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
In "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
[...]

We get them now here in Wi. also, since global warming. I've killed 3200+
already this year.
I don't think you can out smart them by color or plant choice. A plant they
don't like one week/year, they go after mercilessly the next. They'll find
something they like no matter what you plant.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In "frinjdwelr"
wrote:

We get them now here in Wi. also, since global warming. I've killed
3200+ already this year.

We're not keeping count, but we do dump the contents of the jar we catch
them in out in the alley every evening, and the pile is quite
impressive. Apparently, nothing eats even the dead ones.

I don't think you can out smart them by color or plant choice. A
plant they don't like one week/year, they go after mercilessly the
next. They'll find something they like no matter what you plant.

There are lists of resistant and susceptible plants in this USDA
pamphlet:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/pub_phjbeetle04.pdf

It's from The Government, so it's Guaranteed Correct.

[So far, the beetles have stuck to eating only plants on the
"susceptible" lists, so I guess they agree]

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bert Hyman wrote:
We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst," which
manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white to deep
red.

We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and
they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while
they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.

Ever notice traps have yellow vanes. I put one out last year hoping to
catch stink bugs. Didn't catch anything. Don't have many japs either.

Greg