GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mini crepe myrtles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/19934-re-mini-crepe-myrtles.html)

David J. Bockman 01-05-2003 07:56 PM

mini crepe myrtles

I have several Chickasaw that I picked up at the National Arboretum plant
sale several years ago. They are indeed truly miniature... I also have a
sport or witches broom from a chickasaw that is even smaller... it's a tiny
accent plant that I use in bonsai displays, about 2 inches tall, blooms
every year.

Dave

wrote in message
http://www.netplants.net/crapemyrtle_varieties.htm
anybody ever see these? I just love crepe myrtle since living in D.C.

all summer
bloom in a perennial. wowo. and I do have someplace to over winter it.

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

B & J 02-05-2003 05:56 AM

mini crepe myrtles

wrote in message
http://www.netplants.net/crapemyrtle_varieties.htm
anybody ever see these? I just love crepe myrtle since living in D.C.

all summer
bloom in a perennial. wowo. and I do have someplace to over winter it.

Ingrid

Park Seed sells seeds for a variety called Crape Myrtelette (Lagerstroemia).
From a packet of 30 seeds planted in February, I ended up with eighteen
plants that are now 3" - 4" tall. They were sold as a hedge or shrub in
zones 7+, a herbaceous perennial in zone 6, and a pot plat further north.
They were featured in an article in "Flower and Garden" many years ago when
I first tried them and lived up to their name. Foot tall plants bloomed
readily with a good range of colors.

BTW, they root readily from cuttings.

John

Wishy13764 10-05-2003 07:32 PM

mini crepe myrtles

anybody ever see these? I just love crepe myrtle since living in D.C. all
summer
bloom in a perennial. wowo. and I do have someplace to over winter it.
Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Stay away from a nursery in Florida. I believe the city is Gainsville? I

bought 6 cuttings for 59 dollars and they all died on me.

TOM KAN PA 11-05-2003 01:32 AM

mini crepe myrtles

I bought one from a nursery via online. About three years ago. It's still
growing in a pot, very small, but it flowers. Not what I had in mind for a
Crepe Myrtle, but I'll keep it. I bring it in the house around Labor Day, it
loses it's leaves, I occasionally water it, and the next spring, it starts
growing new leaves. This live cycle, not influenced by temperature change is
amazing.

Wishy13764 12-05-2003 02:32 AM

mini crepe myrtles

They say that in Asia, where it was cultivated is considered a 'weed' variety.
Some weed.:)