Old 21-08-2011, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Yet another plant ID, please

This thing came up in a railing planter recently. It's about a foot
high now. I decided to leave it there until I could determine whether
it's something I want to toss out or transplant and keep.

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant3.jpg

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Patty

Old 21-08-2011, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Patty Winter
writes
This thing came up in a railing planter recently. It's about a foot
high now. I decided to leave it there until I could determine whether
it's something I want to toss out or transplant and keep.

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant3.jpg

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that helps at all.

A Solanum. I wouldn't dare attempt to identify American species.

Thanks!

Patty

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-08-2011, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Patty Winter" wrote in message

This thing came up in a railing planter recently. It's about a foot
high now. I decided to leave it there until I could determine whether
it's something I want to toss out or transplant and keep.

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant3.jpg

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Patty

====

Hard to say (for me it'd be easier seeing the berries as well as flowers)
but a rough guess would be Solanum nigrum.
In any case, it's something I'd not want in any of _my_ planters.

Old 22-08-2011, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thank you, Stewart and Nelly!

Nelly, the berries on this one aren't ripe yet, but I think
I had another one of these in another planter a while back,
and its flowers were black. So it may be a solanum negrum.
In any event, given the leaf and flower photos I've found,
I'm sure you're both correct that it's something in the
solanum family. (But not a tomato. I do know how to recognize
those. :-))

Patty

Old 22-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Winter[_2_] View Post
So it may be a solanum negrum.
In any event, given the leaf and flower photos I've found,
I'm sure you're both correct that it's something in the
solanum family.
The Solanum genus is very large and diverse, but helpfully divided into a number of sections. S nigrum is in the section confusingly called the Solanum section. This wiki article on S americanum gives you some clues on distinguishing some of the similar species in that section. Solanum americanum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 22-08-2011, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

The Solanum genus is very large and diverse, but helpfully divided into
a number of sections. S nigrum is in the section confusingly called the
Solanum section. This wiki article on S americanum gives you some clues
on distinguishing some of the similar species in that section. 'Solanum
americanum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://tinyurl.com/6kqy2j)

Thanks! I guess the bottom line at this point is that it might make
a somewhat--but not outstandingly decorative small shrub in a container.
I might move it to its own pot and see whether it interests me when it
gets bigger.

A lot of people in my area have the purple or white solanums (solumna?)
that are colloquially known as "potato trees," but I don't know where
this cousin came from...

Patty

Old 24-08-2011, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

This thing came up in a railing planter recently. It's about a foot
high now. I decided to leave it there until I could determine whether
it's something I want to toss out or transplant and keep.

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plant/plant3.jpg

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that helps at all.

I would guess the native Solanum douglasii
The leaves are wrong for S. nigrum

It can get 3 to 6 feet high and as wide (but probably not in that
planter

It can be pretty as part of a native garden
Thanks!

Patty

--

09=IX