GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   earwigs and corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/199451-earwigs-corn.html)

Todd 24-08-2011 04:32 PM

earwigs and corn

Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn. Any organic/natural way to
defeat them? Any words of wisdom?

I read to roll up some newspaper and wet it down. They would
hide in it during the day. They stay in my corn instead.

Many thanks,
-T

songbird[_2_] 24-08-2011 06:35 PM

earwigs and corn

Todd wrote:

The local earwigs seems to love my corn. Any organic/natural way to
defeat them? Any words of wisdom?

i have heard of filling a pot full of
hay and putting it upside down on a
wooden stake. i didn't see any pictures
but there must have been some way to
keep the hay in the pot, perhaps they
used paper with holes in it. check it
once every few days and empty them out.

songbird

Bob F 24-08-2011 06:52 PM

earwigs and corn

Todd wrote:
Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn.

Ever wonder why they're called "EARwigs".

LilAbner 24-08-2011 08:00 PM

earwigs and corn

On 8/24/2011 11:32 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn. Any organic/natural way to
defeat them? Any words of wisdom?

I read to roll up some newspaper and wet it down. They would
hide in it during the day. They stay in my corn instead.

Many thanks,
-T

mineral oil on the silks if done early enough.

Todd 24-08-2011 08:13 PM

earwigs and corn

On 08/24/2011 10:52 AM, Bob F wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn.

Ever wonder why they're called "EARwigs".

"ear" as is "ears of corn".

Would that be what is sawing off my silks at the top
of the ear?

-T

snotbottom 25-08-2011 04:56 PM

earwigs and corn

Todd wrote:
Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn.

Ever wonder why they're called "EARwigs".

"ear" as is "ears of corn".

Would that be what is sawing off my silks at the top
of the ear?

-T

Dunno... I haven't caught the critter doing it to mine either.

-P

Garrapata 31-08-2011 08:55 AM

earwigs and corn

Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn. Any organic/natural way to
defeat them? Any words of wisdom?

I read to roll up some newspaper and wet it down. They would
hide in it during the day. They stay in my corn instead.

Many thanks,
-T

Maybe Tanglefoot at the base of each plant? (if you don't have acres of
corn)
--

09=IX

Todd 03-09-2011 06:21 AM

earwigs and corn

On 08/31/2011 12:55 AM, Garrapata wrote:
Hi Guys,

The local earwigs seems to love my corn. Any organic/natural way to
defeat them? Any words of wisdom?

I read to roll up some newspaper and wet it down. They would
hide in it during the day. They stay in my corn instead.

Many thanks,
-T

Maybe Tanglefoot at the base of each plant? (if you don't have acres of
corn)

Interesting! Thank you,
-T