Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered User

Default Mint Tea fertilizer

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich
Smile

I would suugest testing on a small area first to make sure that it isn't too strong. I used some very strong comfrey tea on some pots and the tomatoe plants in them turned yellow, which wasn't the desired effect!
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dodge wrote:
Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

Must it? Because it smells so nice? I doubt there is any significant
mineral content. Think of it this way, there is little nutrition in whole
leaves and your tea is only extracting a small amount of what is there. I
could be wrong and I haven't seen any analysis that would settle it one way
or the other.

David

Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dodge wrote:
Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

Must it? Because it smells so nice? I doubt there is any significant
mineral content. Think of it this way, there is little nutrition in whole
leaves and your tea is only extracting a small amount of what is there. I
could be wrong and I haven't seen any analysis that would settle it one way
or the other.

David

Maybe "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference"
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Enter "Mentha spicata", and select "spices and herbs" from "Food Groups".
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dodge wrote:
Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

Must it? Because it smells so nice? I doubt there is any
significant mineral content. Think of it this way, there is little
nutrition in whole leaves and your tea is only extracting a small
amount of what is there. I could be wrong and I haven't seen any
analysis that would settle it one way or the other.

David

Maybe "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference"
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Enter "Mentha spicata", and select "spices and herbs" from "Food
Groups".

I could play with this all day! Peppermint comes up under Mentha x piperita
but they don't have comfrey. Compare to spinach and kale it seems leafy
greens have some potassium (about half of 1%) and not much else in the way
of minerals useful for plants that is soluble. Nitrogen is not mentioned as
such but it will be mainly bound in the proteins and so not extracted in a
tea. I can think of much easier and more effective ways to get some potash
into my soil, keeping in mind that whatever you get out of your tea came out
of the soil in the first place.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:01:08 +0000, Dodge wrote:

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea as a
plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

Mint hay or "mint compost" is the stuff that's left after the oils are
harvested. Runs about 2.0-0.8-2.8 (NPK). Mint tea would be much, much
less concentrated than that. So it sounds like a very expensive way to
add minimal soil nutrients.

Mint oils are terpene derivatives... no NPK.

Kay

Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered User

Thanks all.

The only reason I ask is that I have a codiaeum on my desk at work, and I keep forgetting to bring in a little fertilzier from home, but I do have mint tea at work.

However it appears other than making it smell nice, it wont really achieve much else.

I'll just to have put a knot in my hankie so i remember.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dodge wrote in newsodge.8dfdab7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea as a
plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

How about cost?

Chris
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Chris Thompson wrote:

Dodge wrote in newsodge.8dfdab7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea as a
plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

How about cost?

Chris

At least it would help cover the smell of the fertilizer. Although, we
spent 2 weeks on a dairy farm in Brittany, and at first I was appalled
by the smell, but by the time we left, I didn't notice it at all.
(Bourg-Blanc, the Le Hir family).

Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Chris Thompson wrote:

Dodge wrote in newsodge.8dfdab7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

How about cost?

Chris

At least it would help cover the smell of the fertilizer. Although, we
spent 2 weeks on a dairy farm in Brittany, and at first I was appalled
by the smell, but by the time we left, I didn't notice it at all.
(Bourg-Blanc, the Le Hir family).

For your next holiday you should room next to a chicken shed, try to be
there when they clean it out.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Chris Thompson wrote:

Dodge wrote in newsodge.8dfdab7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

How about cost?

Chris

At least it would help cover the smell of the fertilizer. Although, we
spent 2 weeks on a dairy farm in Brittany, and at first I was appalled
by the smell, but by the time we left, I didn't notice it at all.
(Bourg-Blanc, the Le Hir family).

For your next holiday you should room next to a chicken shed, try to be
there when they clean it out.

Would that be worse that being next to the U.S. Congress, which never
gets cleaned out?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
Would that be worse that being next to the U.S. Congress, which never
gets cleaned out?

dude, that's a pork farm.

songbird
Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
At least it would help cover the smell of the fertilizer. Although, we
spent 2 weeks on a dairy farm in Brittany, and at first I was appalled
by the smell, but by the time we left, I didn't notice it at all.
(Bourg-Blanc, the Le Hir family).

i grew up near a dairy farm, properly
managed it does not smell that bad, compared
to a CAFO, chicken shed or badly run pig farm
a well run dairy is heaven.

my brothers worked there at times helping
out, they'd come home smelling rather ripe,
Ma would make them take their clothes off
outside and hose them down before washing
them. i used to go help milk and liked to
talk to the guy who owned/ran the place. it
is still going as a dairy farm even now all
these years later but i don't know who is
running it. many many stories, playing in
the barn hayloft, barn cats, calfing, raising
a calf, ornery cows and the ones that loved
you if you brought them a carrot or apple,
the smell of sileage, the sound of milking,
.... etc.

songbird
Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 17:00:21 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Chris Thompson wrote:

Dodge wrote in newsodge.8dfdab7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

How about cost?

Chris

At least it would help cover the smell of the fertilizer. Although, we
spent 2 weeks on a dairy farm in Brittany, and at first I was appalled
by the smell, but by the time we left, I didn't notice it at all.
(Bourg-Blanc, the Le Hir family).

For your next holiday you should room next to a chicken shed, try to be
there when they clean it out.

Would that be worse that being next to the U.S. Congress, which never
gets cleaned out?

Nice hijack.

Mint is good as an activator. Add it to comfrey etc and get better
effect. Accelerated effect.

No cites, my studied opinion. (And who knows what I've studied.)

[IMG] code is On

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 06:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 05:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 01:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 18-03-2003 12:56 AM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 09:27 AM