Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Exclamation My palm tree is infested, Urgent help pls!!

Hi all,
Is this spider mites or what else could there be?
I cannot really find any of the "webs" though...

It is full of these, especially on the very low part of the stem, and some under a few leaves.

I read that the following could help:
1. Try to scrape everything off
2. Spray Whole plant with Soap+pure spirit diluted in water and spray the whole plant a few times
3. Spray every day with normal water to keep up humidity

What do you guys think??

The palm is brand new, bought it a day or so before, and as you can see, the plant is very healthy, but has not been taken care of properly, and the soil is absolutely awful.

Also, we got a new aloe vera which has similar strange black spots on a few of the leaves (leaves??) ...

Full plant: http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8296/p1010058mh.jpg
Infestation 1: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Infestation 2: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8450/p1010005bs.jpg
Infestation 3: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2658/p1010004ld.jpg
Infestation 4: http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8760/p1010007js.jpg
Aloe Vera: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/356/p1010008ek.jpg

Thank u so much!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered User

Apparently,
It seems like it is
"palm date scale"
Parlatoria blanchardi
Common Names

English
Parlatoria date scale
palm date scale
date palm scale

Can someone advice how to get rid of this, or should I simply throw away the whole plant. Moreover, Does it spread?
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default My palm tree is infested, Urgent help pls!!

In article ,
alkemisten3 wrote:

What do you guys think??

Needs a much bigger pot.
Old 13-10-2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi all,
Is this spider mites or what else could there be?
I cannot really find any of the "webs" though...

It is full of these, especially on the very low part of the stem, and
some under a few leaves.

I read that the following could help:
1. Try to scrape everything off
2. Spray Whole plant with Soap+pure spirit diluted in water and spray
the whole plant a few times
3. Spray every day with normal water to keep up humidity

What do you guys think??

The palm is brand new, bought it a day or so before, and as you can see,
the plant is very healthy, but has not been taken care of properly, and
the soil is absolutely awful.

Also, we got a new aloe vera which has similar strange black spots on a
few of the leaves (leaves??) ...

Full plant: http://tinyurl.com/3pklcw6
Infestation 1: 'ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting'
(http://tinyurl.com/3vo8xz3)

Normal hairs/scales which rub off as the palm grows
Maybe some residual mites, see #2

Infestation 2: http://tinyurl.com/3gckzhdx

Scars from spider mites, they may be left over from an earlier
infestation which was taken care of by the grower, if you can find
active mites and you just bought it take it back. If you have to keep
it, spray with insecticidal soap ACCORDING TO THE LABEL DIRECTIONS
keep away from other plants until mites are gone
You can use an insecticidal oil such as Volck but you have follow the
label directions EXACTLY or you can damage the plant

Infestation 3: http://tinyurl.com/3cln56h

maybe minor mites, the rest is normal

Infestation 4: http://tinyurl.com/3p2vrcj

The white spots are rough handling. I don't know what the black spots
are but I would ignore unless they grow

Aloe Vera: http://tinyurl.com/6a3pj4k

Probably just bruises

Thank u so much!