GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long before a male holly starts producing pollen (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/200012-how-long-before-male-holly-starts-producing-pollen.html)

Cheryl Isaak 12-10-2011 10:09 PM

How long before a male holly starts producing pollen

I need either a Jim Dandy or Apollo "winter berry" holly (aka a male) to
pollinate my new "Berry Nice" winter berry holly. The only ones I can
find locally are much bigger than I can easily plant with out expanding
a bed that I really don't want to touch for a few years.

Cheryl

echinosum 14-10-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl Isaak (Post 939368)
I need either a Jim Dandy or Apollo "winter berry" holly (aka a male) to
pollinate my new "Berry Nice" winter berry holly. The only ones I can
find locally are much bigger than I can easily plant with out expanding
a bed that I really don't want to touch for a few years.

Pretty much any male holly within a few hundred yards will probably do. So have a wander around your area and see if there is any male holly around rather than taking up space unnecessarily in your garden.

Cheryl Isaak 15-10-2011 01:25 PM

On 10/14/11 9:06 AM, echinosum wrote:
Cheryl Isaak;939368 Wrote:
I need either a Jim Dandy or Apollo "winter berry" holly (aka a male) to

pollinate my new "Berry Nice" winter berry holly. The only ones I can
find locally are much bigger than I can easily plant with out expanding

a bed that I really don't want to touch for a few years.

Pretty much any male holly within a few hundred yards will probably do.
So have a wander around your area and see if there is any male holly
around rather than taking up space unnecessarily in your garden.

I suspect there are none - I live in a area with large yards that are
(sadly) mostly grass.

I don't mind adding another shrub, I just really didn't want to work
around where I'd locate it now - The next expansion of that area is a
year or so away.

I did end up contacting the America Holly Society. Since most
commercially available hollies are clones, they start blooming and
producing pollen as very young plants. So next year, I'll find a Jim
Dandy for my garden