Old 24-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up Re-designing a garden kneeler

Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/ problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated, thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!
Old 24-10-2011, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Re-designing a garden kneeler

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:19:18 +0000, PhilV
wrote:

Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product
Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/
problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that
you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated,
thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!

That's easy, a gardening kneeler needs an insulated compartment that
holds ice to cool a sandwich and a sixpack.
Old 25-10-2011, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

PhilV wrote:
Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product
Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/
problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that
you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated,
thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!

It needs a drink holder. If ride-on mowers have drink holders so should all
garden equipment. Preferably one that keeps your beer cool.

And a help button. You press it and somebody comes to help you. Useful if
your back goes and you can't get up or if your beer runs out.

If going this far some kind of "Trucker's Friend" could be installed so that
you don't need to get up and walk to the lemon tree after the fourth beer.
Maybe it could be configured so that it operates after the more-beer button
has been pressed n number of times, not just four. There might need to be
two versions. But wait! Perhaps instead you could design an evertable
adaptor - one size fits all so to speak.

Imagine the scene at the community gardens, rows of little plots being
tended by elderlies all on *your* kneelers. Moments of tension passing
across their wrinkly anxious faces followed by bliss and relief as each
Kneeler's Friend reaches its functional threshold. Aaaahhhhhhhh!

I'm getting to like this designing outside the box.

Old 25-10-2011, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product
Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/
problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that
you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated,
thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!

Think 1. Price 2. beer holder

.... not necessarily in that order .. :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...,44766&p=53926

Good luck.

Old 25-10-2011, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/24/11 12:19 PM, PhilV wrote:
Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product
Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/
problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that
you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated,
thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!

I have a kneeler that, turned upside-down, is also a bench. I love it,
but I can see a need for improvements.

As a kneeler, there is a foam pad for my knees. It is held in place by
small strips of Velcro, with one side stuck to the unit and one side
stuck to the pad. This pad sometimes comes loose when the kneeler is
being used as a bench. The pad needs to have better fastening to the
unit.

I am near the weight limit for sitting on the bench. It should be
stronger, enough to hold someone as heavy as 300 poinds (about 20% more
than I weigh).

The instructions warned about standing on the bench. I stand on it
anyway. I don't know if I am at risk of exceeding the bench's design
limit. It should be designed for someone to stand on it.

My kneeler is shown at http://www.step2.com/p/Garden-Kneeler-Seat.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Old 25-10-2011, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:09:17 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

[...]

I have this one, works well.
http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Seat-K...504418&sr=8-30
Old 25-10-2011, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

... did someone say seat .. ?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...921&cat=2,2120

[IMG] code is On

garden designing MrWeb Gardening 0 20-10-2007 12:10 PM
Garden designing software? c0ldfusi0n Ponds (alternative) 5 19-10-2004 11:50 PM
Garden designing software? c0ldfusi0n Gardening 3 19-10-2004 11:50 PM
Garden designing software? c0ldfusi0n Ponds (alternative) 0 17-10-2004 06:42 AM
garden kneeler Gloria Lenon Gardening 14 21-08-2003 02:02 AM