Old 24-10-2011, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Denture cleaners for plants?

Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. Included packets of denture cleaners. Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB
Old 24-10-2011, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. Included packets of denture cleaners. Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

It could contain minerals that are there to act as mild abrasives such as
lime, look on the pack for the ingredients. Of course this would be the
most expensive possible way to buy a small amount of such things.

Old 25-10-2011, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. Included packets of denture cleaners. Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

It could contain minerals that are there to act as mild abrasives such as
lime, look on the pack for the ingredients. Of course this would be the
most expensive possible way to buy a small amount of such things.

If it does indeed include lime or anything else alkaline, DO NOT USE
IT!! The soils and water in southern California all tend to be alkaline
already.

Actually, I use powdered sulfur repeatedly around most of my plants to
make the soil more acidic. Only my dianthus, iris, and primulas prefer
alkaline soil. My roses, azaleas, camellias, tea tree, citrus, heath,
liquidambar tree, and others all enjoy the sulfuric acid created as soil
bacteria slowly consume sulfur.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 25-10-2011, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/24/2011 3:17 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

Not especially related to gardening, but people use denture tablets
to clean narrow vases that they can't reach into.

nancy
Old 25-10-2011, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 25, 5:31*am, Nancy Young email@replyto wrote:
On 10/24/2011 3:17 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. *Is this weird
or possible?

Not especially related to gardening, but people use denture tablets
to clean narrow vases that they can't reach into.

nancy

Wehave several like that; nothing seems to reach the bottoms, so I'll try some of [guest's] denture cleaner tablets.

Thanks!

HB

Old 25-10-2011, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 24, 4:57*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

You have a tea tree? I thought they only existed in Australia!

Are they hard to grow?

Thanks for the sulfur reminder. My soil is pretty balanced (I think)
but I'll pick up some sulfur just in case.

HB

HB
Old 25-10-2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 24, 11:12*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. *Included packets of denture cleaners. *Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. *Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

I've never tried it, but . . .

http://www.plantea.com/plant-aspirin.htm

Plants feeling under the weather?
Give them aspirin water!

By Marion Owen, Fearless Weeder for PlanTea, Inc. and
Co-author of Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul

aspirin"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."

We've all heard that advice from doctors. And moms have been dispensing
this all-purpose cure-all to their families as a standard way of
providing relief from headaches and sniffles, muscle aches and joint
pain.

Then it should be no surprise to learn how an important aspirin
ingredient--salicylic acid--is being used as an Earth-friendly first aid
for warding off plant diseases.

Meet Martha McBurney, the master gardener in charge of the demonstration
vegetable garden at the University of Rhode Island. In the summer of
2005 she tested aspirin water on tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, basil and
other plants after reading about it in a gardening publication called
the Avant Gardener (PO Box 489, New York, NY 10028). The results were
well, astonishing...

"What caught my eye in the original Avant Gardener article was it said
that aspirin is an activator of Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR). And
that plants, when under stress, naturally produce salicylic acid, but
not fast enough and in sufficient quantities to really help them out in
time. So the bugs get them, and diseases get them, and they show even
more stress.

"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind
of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.

How much, and how often

The dosage that Martha used was 1.5 [uncoated] aspirins to 2 gallons of
water. She also added 2 tablespoons of yucca extract to help the aspirin
water stick to the leaves better. (The yucca extract can be substituted
with a mild liquid soap.) Martha explained that the yucca (or soap)
prevents the aspirin water from beading up and rolling off leaves of
broccoli and kale leaves. Finally, she sprayed the plants every 3 weeks.

[...]
..
Thanks for article and link, Billy. Definitely worth trying.

HB
Old 26-10-2011, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/25/11 2:05 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You have a tea tree? I thought they only existed in Australia!

Are they hard to grow?

I have an Australian tea tree (Leptospermum laevigatum). It really is a
large shrub and not a tree. When I finally corrected its chlorosis by
adding lots of sulfates (ammonium, iron, zinc, magnesium (Epsom salts),
and calcium (gypsum)), it decided to grow well. Mine has white flowers
in the spring. The leaves are small, light green blades. It has many
weeping branches. I generally trim them away to make it grow taller.
It now arches over the adjacent paths. I don't really mind the higher
weeping branches as long as they don't brush my head as I walk under
them. I also trim away low growth so that we can see through it.

At Gardens of the World in Thousand Oaks (across from the Civic Arts
Center), they have New Zeeland tea trees (L. scoparium). Two are
blooming right now. One has bright red flowers; the other has shocking
pink flowers. I think they are blooming out of season because I recall
them blooming in the early summer. These grow upright without any
weeping branches. The leaves are dark green and much smaller than L.
laevigatum.

Old 26-10-2011, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/25/11 2:09 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 24, 11:12 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

.
Thanks for article and link, Billy. Definitely worth trying.

HB

Some formulations of spirin contain significant sodium (sodium
acetyl-salicylate). I would not put that around any plant except a
salt-tolerant seashore plant.

Other fomulations omit the sodium (acetylo-salicylic acid). You might
try merely soaking mashed willow leaves and twigs in vinegar; it would
be cheaper.

Old 26-10-2011, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 24, 12:17*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. *Included packets of denture cleaners. *Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. *Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

w/o
http://www.dentist.net/dentureFAQ.asp

What are the ingredients in Polident that provides cleaning?

Polident’s anti-bacterial cleaning system has several ingredients that
participate in the cleaning process. The effervescent action (Sodium
Bicarbonate and Citric Acid) provides mechanical cleaning action to
loosen particles from the denture. The effervescent compounds also
reduce odor by neutralizing the by-products of bacteria. The enzyme
(everlace; Overnight only) breaks down and food proteins in plaque.
The oxidants (sodium perborate & potassium monopersulfate) remove
stains and whiten the denture teeth. The detergents (sodium
polyphosphate & several others) clean by removing virtually all the
particles that were broken down and loosened by the previously
mentioned active ingredients.

Old 26-10-2011, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gunner wrote:
On Oct 24, 12:17 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. Included packets of denture cleaners. Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something
in that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

w/o
http://www.dentist.net/dentureFAQ.asp

What are the ingredients in Polident that provides cleaning?

Polident’s anti-bacterial cleaning system has several ingredients that
participate in the cleaning process. The effervescent action (Sodium
Bicarbonate and Citric Acid)

These are not useful to plants

provides mechanical cleaning action to
loosen particles from the denture. The effervescent compounds also
reduce odor by neutralizing the by-products of bacteria. The enzyme
(everlace; Overnight only) breaks down and food proteins in plaque.
The oxidants (sodium perborate & potassium monopersulfate) remove
stains and whiten the denture teeth.

These are likely to be harmful to plants.

The detergents (sodium
polyphosphate & several others) clean by removing virtually all the
particles that were broken down and loosened by the previously
mentioned active ingredients.

These are not useful to plants either.

I see nothing there that would be helpful.

Old 27-10-2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Oct 24, 12:17 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. Included packets of denture cleaners. Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something
in that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

w/o
http://www.dentist.net/dentureFAQ.asp

What are the ingredients in Polident that provides cleaning?

Polident¹s anti-bacterial cleaning system has several ingredients that
participate in the cleaning process. The effervescent action (Sodium
Bicarbonate and Citric Acid)

These are not useful to plants

provides mechanical cleaning action to
loosen particles from the denture. The effervescent compounds also
reduce odor by neutralizing the by-products of bacteria. The enzyme
(everlace; Overnight only) breaks down and food proteins in plaque.
The oxidants (sodium perborate & potassium monopersulfate) remove
stains and whiten the denture teeth.

These are likely to be harmful to plants.

The detergents (sodium
polyphosphate & several others) clean by removing virtually all the
particles that were broken down and loosened by the previously
mentioned active ingredients.

These are not useful to plants either.

I see nothing there that would be helpful.

Agreed
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it¹s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That¹s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don¹t get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 28-10-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Clearing out guest room, found bathroom/cosmetic supplies left by
guest. Included packets of denture cleaners. Powder that gets
dissolved in water?

Mentioned this to garden friend, who opined that there is something in
that stuff that is good for plants. Is this weird
or possible?

TIA

HB

Is your plant by any chance named Audrey?

-Bob
Old 29-10-2011, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 25, 11:39*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Gunner wrote:
[...]

Never saw the usefulness for aspirin or H2O2 for plants.... kinda
sound goods, just don't find the science for it. Sounds a bit like
feeding excess antibiotics to animals to prevent what you don't know.
Now I have used hydrogen peroxide to disinfect my hydro systems and
the reservoirs.
Old 29-10-2011, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 25, 2:09*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 24, 11:12*pm, Billy wrote:

In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

**Afterthought: Did the experimenter run a CONTROL garden? Seems like
a basic requirement to assess the efficacy of [product] [procedure].

HB