GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange seeds... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/201173-strange-seeds.html)

jnituo 14-12-2011 07:56 PM

Strange seeds...

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm new here!!!
I've some seeds from mexico, but I don't know what they are... I have looked everywhere but... nothing... Any idea???
Tnku!!!

David E. Ross[_2_] 14-12-2011 09:51 PM

Strange seeds...

On 12/14/11 11:56 AM, jnituo wrote:
Hi, I'm new here!!!
I've some seeds from mexico, but I don't know what they are... I have
looked everywhere but... nothing... Any idea???
Tnku!!!

|Filename: CIMG2983.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14498|
|Filename: CIMG2974.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14497|
|Filename: CIMG2987.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14499|

Is it legal to bring unknown seeds into the UK? It's not legal in the
US. Any live plant materials must be declared at Customs.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Ono[_2_] 15-12-2011 03:39 AM

Strange seeds...

On Dec 15, 6:51*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

That explains why i was not allowed to send seeds to US from my
country.
Does that mean if i wrote down any plant name of our native plants,
our post office could send it to US for us,
or are there some other regulations about the kinds of seeds they can
accept from overseas?
Anyway, i would have another challenge. Thanks for the info.

Ono

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 15-12-2011 07:09 AM

Strange seeds...

Ono wrote:

Is it legal to bring unknown seeds into the UK? It's not legal in the
US. Any live plant materials must be declared at Customs.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

That explains why i was not allowed to send seeds to US from my
country.
Does that mean if i wrote down any plant name of our native plants,
our post office could send it to US for us,
or are there some other regulations about the kinds of seeds they can
accept from overseas?
Anyway, i would have another challenge. Thanks for the info.

Ono

Customs regulations about transporting plant material have several aims.
They are trying to prevent the spread of unwanted foreign species of plants
and also the spread of plant diseases. So the seeds that you want might be
OK (or not depending on the species) but they could be blocked in case they
carry fungal spores or dirt with other seeds in it for example. There are
good reasons for such regulations so it is best to use approved methods for
importing seeds. Here (Australia) the authorities take a very dim view of
illegal importation of any kind of plant material and are likely to slap you
with a hefty fine.

David

David E. Ross[_2_] 15-12-2011 07:35 AM

Strange seeds...

On 12/14/11 7:39 PM, Ono wrote:
[...]

Go to
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml
and scroll down to "Plants and Seeds".

jnituo 16-12-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] (Post 944311)
On 12/14/11 7:39 PM, Ono wrote:
[...]

Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov
and scroll down to "Plants and Seeds".

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current

But does anybody knows what can be the seeds??? Thnks!!!

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 16-12-2011 09:41 PM

Strange seeds...

-

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

(http://tinyurl.com/npv9m) and scroll down to "Plants and Seeds".

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
'My Climate' (http://tinyurl.com/4xkcb64)
Gardening diary at 'David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current'
(http://www.rossde.com/garden/diary)

But does anybody knows what can be the seeds??? Thnks!!!

A wild guess: some sort of palm.

David