GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wild Blackberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/20131-re-wild-blackberries.html)

Bill Bolle 02-05-2003 09:44 PM

Wild Blackberries

I pick quarts of them every year. I don't use them for cobbler though,
I just put a little milk and sugar on them and feast away.
Bill

junkyardcat wrote:

We have wild blackberries all over our land (11 acres). Didn't even know
those pesky stickers would give way to berries until I just happened to look
down and saw them. My question about them is...Can we pick a batch of them
when they're ripe and make cobbler from them? Or are they just good for the
birds but not humans?

Thanks!
Angie

Dwayne 03-05-2003 03:32 AM

Wild Blackberries

They also make outstanding jelly/jam/syrup, etc. When we lived in Arkansas
they were a breeding place for ticks, chiggers, and snakes. I mowed off a
large part of my 7 acres, and transplanted some in a row of about 100 ft. I
put up fence posts and wires to tie the canes to. Put tick granules around
the area they were planted and mowed routinely. We had no problems with the
above mentioned pests.

During the second year I froze 10 gallons, sold 2 gallons, let friends pick
another 4 or 5 gallons, and the wife used several gallons to make jam and
cobbler out of.

Have fun. Dwayne
"Lar" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
:) We have wild blackberries all over our land (11 acres). Didn't even

know
:) those pesky stickers would give way to berries until I just happened

to look
:) down and saw them. My question about them is...Can we pick a batch of

them
:) when they're ripe and make cobbler from them? Or are they just good

for the
:) birds but not humans?
:)
:)
Mother's day weekend you will be eating cobbler!
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Rob Smith 03-05-2003 02:20 PM

Wild Blackberries

I have been picking wild blackberries since I was a little kid with my
grandfather. He used to make jam, pie, and wine. I myself have only made
wine, because my kitchen is to small mess around making pies, jams, or
canning. So yeah, they are deffinatly good for people. Enjoy em'.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com

Dwayne 05-05-2003 03:20 AM