Old 03-05-2003, 02:56 AM
montana

Default Grape Hyacinths?

In article , Lilly wrote:

On Fri, 02 May 2003 13:28:50 -0400, montana
wrote:

In article , Lilly wrote:

I decided to plant a pot of grape hyacinth bulbs indoors this year,
they're growing fine but have no flowers. Do any of you think there's
something I could do to get them to bloom, and/or should I just
transplant them outside? Feeling pretty dumb right now... thanks,
~Lilly
"Death lies on her, like an untimely frost
upon the sweetest flower of all the field."

Were the bulbs ever refrigerated over the winter?

No, not that I'm aware of.
~Lilly

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I thought that was one of the
bulbs that needed to be cold (as it would be were they in the ground all
winter) before it would bloom, like tulips or daffodils, etc.

You may not get a bloom this time around, but could, after the go
dormant & after time spent in a cold place over the winter, force them
next year.

This presupposes that you've had these bulbs a while. If you just bought
them, it's possible they were chilled long enough to make them bloom
before they were shipped to you & I'm all wet!
Old 03-05-2003, 06:44 AM
gregpresley

One way to force bulbs is simply to leave the pot outdoors (if you live in a
cold climate) for the months of November and December. Many bulbs only need
about 2 months of freezing temps to set up blooms. If the pots have frozen,
put them in a cold (unheated garage, basement) place where they can thaw
gradually. As soon as they send up greenery, bring them into a cool sunny
area, and they should bloom - maybe in late January, early February.....

wrote:

In article , Lilly wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Killing grape hyacinths dch222 United Kingdom 0 06-03-2007 12:12 PM
Grape Hyacinths Michael United Kingdom 39 12-04-2003 12:20 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Grape hyacinths JennyC United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM