GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   growing ginger in zone 5 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/201875-growing-ginger-zone-5-a.html)

[email protected] 13-01-2012 07:21 AM

growing ginger in zone 5

Ran across this article http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/
Think I will try growing some this year.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 13-01-2012 11:57 AM

growing ginger in zone 5

wrote:
Ran across this article
http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/
Think I will try growing some this year.

Your chances are roughly midway between Buckley's in the natural environment
of zone 5. I found the ref article vague and fluffy with very little
substantial information, I wouldn't get too excited about this.

David

David E. Ross[_2_] 13-01-2012 05:20 PM

growing ginger in zone 5

On 1/12/12 11:21 PM, wrote:
Ran across this article
http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/
Think I will try growing some this year.

The ginger used in cooking and shown in the Web page you cite is
Zingiber officinale. It's hardy to about 22F. It requires heat and
high humidity in the summer.

Shell ginger (an ornamental) is part of the genus Alpinea. They are
hardy to about 15F. They require shade and protection from winds.

Ginger lilies (another ornamental) are in the genus Hedychium. They are
hardy to about 20F and also require high humidity.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see