GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hosta -- Hail Damage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/20194-hosta-hail-damage.html)

TYbarmea 03-05-2003 04:44 AM

Hosta -- Hail Damage

Had a hail storm come through here and many of my Hosta's were beat hard --
ripped leaves, broken stems -- Should I leave them alone, or cut them back?

Thanks!
Tom

Tsu Dho Nimh 03-05-2003 03:20 PM

Hosta -- Hail Damage

(TYbarmea) wrote:

Had a hail storm come through here and many of my Hosta's were beat hard --
ripped leaves, broken stems -- Should I leave them alone, or cut them back?

Cut off the broken stems, at least, now.

If a leaf is ripped, trim the tattered dangling bits off. When
you get new foliage, trim the damaged leaves off.

Sometimes you can reshape a leaf with tip damage - trim it into a
sort of leaf-shape, just inside the damaged part.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

TYbarmea 03-05-2003 03:32 PM

Hosta -- Hail Damage

Thanks Tsu!

Tom

Vox Humana 03-05-2003 09:08 PM

Hosta -- Hail Damage

"TYbarmea" wrote in message
Had a hail storm come through here and many of my Hosta's were beat

hard --
ripped leaves, broken stems -- Should I leave them alone, or cut them

back?

That happened to me last year. I just left them alone and they did fine
although they looked like hell. This year they are back bigger than ever.
I though it was going to hail Thursday night, so I got an arm load of sheets
and covered as many hostas as I could (I have about 200). Of course, the
storm passed through without any hail and I am now washing the first of two
loads of sheets. Better safe than sorry.