Old 27-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered User

Default Honey as substitute rooting Hormone

For one of my college assignements i have been looking at propagation methods and came across an article that said that you could use honey as a substitute for your commercial rooting hormones. I was wondering if anybody else had heard of this or even tried it out for themselves
Old 27-01-2012, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eames wrote:
For one of my college assignements i have been looking at propagation
methods and came across an article that said that you could use honey
as a substitute for your commercial rooting hormones. I was wondering
if anybody else had heard of this or even tried it out for themselves

Stick with testosterone.

Old 28-01-2012, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:23:15 +0000, Eames
wrote:

For one of my college assignements i have been looking at propagation
methods and came across an article that said that you could use honey as
a substitute for your commercial rooting hormones.

I'm a hobbiest beekeeper.

Dunno about as a rooting _hormone_, but honey has natural
antibacterial properties, and as such, may benefit the health of the
cutting.

It's been used as a wound dressing and to preserve broken teeth
(really!). I've personally used honey with success on bandages myself
- no neosporin, etc.

Note there's a marked difference between most store bought processed
honey (much of which has been "cooked" to some degree), and "raw"
honey (which is straight from the hive and run through basic filters,
nothing more. The enzymes in Raw honey will still be viable.

For rooting, I've had good success with "willow tea" (I've got a
willow tree, so this is a no-brainer).

Old 28-01-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:23:15 +0000, Eames wrote:

For one of my college assignements i have been looking at propagation
methods and came across an article that said that you could use honey as
a substitute for your commercial rooting hormones. I was wondering if
anybody else had heard of this or even tried it out for themselves

Nope. However, it might be worth a try if you've got a few spare inches of
propagation mat free -- the osmotic effect may be enough to induce a better
wound response in some species. But on the whole, I suspect IBA and its ilk
is going to do better.

Agricola has this: Influence of bee’s honey, IBA (indole butyric acid) and
the cutting form on the rooting of cocoa cuttings.

Title: Pengaruh madu lebah, IBA dan bentuk setek terhadap perakaran setek
kakao.
Author(s): Prawoto, A.A.
Saleh, M.
Found In: Menara perkebunan. Menara Perkebunan 1983. v. 51 (1)
p. 7-16.

but my experience is cacao is hard to root.

Kay
Old 28-01-2012, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:50:44 -0800, Billy
wrote:

willow tea a.k.a. salicylic acid a.k.a. aspirin

Asprin is derived from the bark of a specific species of willow. The
Auxins which promote root development are found in abundance across
pretty much the entire willow family.

google: auxin willow rooting

Old 28-01-2012, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
-
[...]

You said that you have used honey to dress wounds, do you know what it
is within the honey that helps heal wounds as i would presume that it
would be the same elements that would help to callus over the cutting
to promote the root developement

I wouldn't assume that, these are quite different processes in quite
different environments.

Old 30-01-2012, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
willow tea a.k.a. salicylic acid a.k.a. aspirin

Asprin is derived from the bark of a specific species of willow. *The
Auxins which promote root development are found in abundance across
pretty much the entire willow family.

google: auxin willow rooting

Originally made from willow, now from coal tar. It's made
far too cheaply and in too huge quantities to be made from a
natural, herbal source.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

Really? How does this work?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 27, 9:50*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Sean Straw wrote:

[

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:23:15 +0000, Eames
wrote:

[....snip...]

"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind
of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.

***Hasn''t the efficacy of Echinacea been disproved?

HB

[...snip...]

Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:37:49 -0800 (PST), Gunner
wrote:

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

Really? How does this work?

I'm guess that someone believes that honey or sugar syrup equates to
sap because it has a similar consistency. Seems to me, the part of
the plant which would be uptaking fluid would already be in moist
media (or directly in water).

If you took a mid-branch cutting (i.e. there's an exposed cut at the
top of the cutting), I could see a potential benefit to sealing that
off with some grafting wax, beeswax, or other graft sealer, so that
the cutting itself doesn't weep and expends less energy to scar over.
That is, if you seal it off, you can put off the scar formation until
after there are roots forming and the cutting is more equipped with
energy/nutrient uptake to support the healing.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when
the cuttings are taken.

*Really? How does this work?

I'm guess that someone believes that honey or sugar syrup equates to
sap because it has a similar consistency. *Seems to me, the part of
the plant which would be uptaking fluid would already be in moist
media (or directly in water).

Then someone doesn't understand growth hormone & signal response,

If you took a mid-branch cutting (i.e. there's an exposed cut at the
top of the cutting), I could see a potential benefit to sealing that
off with some grafting wax, beeswax, or other graft sealer, so that
the cutting itself doesn't weep and expends less energy to scar over.
That is, if you *seal it off, you can put off the scar formation until
after there are roots forming and the cutting is more equipped with
energy/nutrient uptake to support

Don't believe there is a need for sealing the end of proper cuttings a

[IMG] code is On

rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 3 09-03-2005 12:43 AM
rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 0 08-03-2005 02:33 AM
Hormone rooting compound ? Sla#s United Kingdom 2 03-02-2005 09:40 PM
rooting hormone WiGard Gardening 5 01-02-2004 02:46 PM
Shelf liife of rooting hormone Franz Heymann United Kingdom 26 24-08-2003 05:03 PM