GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to prune hebes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202233-how-prune-hebes.html)

Dwight 11-02-2012 05:19 AM

How to prune hebes?

We have hebes in front of a Stewartia which are getting too big.

If we prune them down half way, all the greenery will be cut off.

Will the stalks recover from such treatment?

Thanks for your advice.

Dwight

carlmc75 12-02-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight (Post 950564)
We have hebes in front of a Stewartia which are getting too big.

If we prune them down half way, all the greenery will be cut off.

Will the stalks recover from such treatment?

Thanks for your advice.

Dwight

It is not advisable to cut back past leaves, preferably cutting back only to a new bud or leaf.

Doing this will help promote growth on the stem below, as well as new shoots.

Do this to just a few stems at a time, over several months will help to keep the plant healthy,

Dwight 13-02-2012 04:54 AM

How to prune hebes?

carlmc75 wrote:

Dwight;950564 Wrote:

We have hebes in front of a Stewartia which are getting too big.

If we prune them down half way, all the greenery will be cut off.

Will the stalks recover from such treatment?

Thanks for your advice.

Dwight

It is not advisable to cut back past leaves, preferably cutting back
only to a new bud or leaf.

Doing this will help promote growth on the stem below, as well as new
shoots.

Do this to just a few stems at a time, over several months will help to
keep the plant healthy,

Makes sense. Thanks very much.

Dwight