GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slug attractive plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/20230-slug-attractive-plants.html)

Purchgdss 03-05-2003 12:44 PM

Slug attractive plants

I must say I was very surprised to find that Oenthera Speciosca is SLUG HEAVEN.
I will go out with my trusty flashlight and scissors and find them with their
full yellow bellies eating the pollen and petals of this flower (the petals are
pink, they LOVE the pollen), especially after a rain. And not just little
ones, I'm finding my 3-4" monsters inside the bent over flower heads.

Well, to say that I find 20-30 each trip past the bed is an understatement.
You'd think that I'd have wiped out the entire colony by now, but Noooooooooo
They seem to come from elsewhere.

What other unexpected plants have you found that these nasties love?

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 04-05-2003 08:44 AM

Slug attractive plants

Bill Ranseen wrote:

In article ,
unya (Purchgdss) wrote:

I must say I was very surprised to find that Oenthera Speciosca is SLUG
HEAVEN.

What other unexpected plants have you found that these nasties love?

Delphinium.

Zinnias, lettuce.

Cindy 05-05-2003 03:20 PM

Slug attractive plants

Dahlias! I had a heck of a time with slugs. I was told to sprinkle
diamotous earth around and the sharp edges of the DE would kill them. I
never got that far.

Cindy
"Zemedelec" wrote in message

What other unexpected plants have you found that these nasties love?

Zantedeschia aethopia (green calla lily). I guess I would too if I were a
slug--the stems are very juicy-looking, like kale only more so.
zemedelec

Linda Adie 06-05-2003 02:21 AM

Slug attractive plants

"Zemedelec" wrote in message

What other unexpected plants have you found that these nasties love?

Zantedeschia aethopia (green calla lily). I guess I would too if I were a
slug--the stems are very juicy-looking, like kale only more so.
zemedelec

I have found out they love marigolds I get lots of them in my garden
I wish someone would come up areally good idea to stop them coming
near

Regards Linda

jackie fisher 07-05-2003 08:20 PM

Slug attractive plants

"Zemedelec" wrote in message

What other unexpected plants have you found that these nasties love?

Zantedeschia aethopia (green calla lily). I guess I would too if I were a
slug--the stems are very juicy-looking, like kale only more so.
zemedelec

I have found out they love marigolds I get lots of them in my garden
I wish someone would come up areally good idea to stop them coming
near

Regards Linda

I also have problems with slugs in my garden. I haven't got marigolds
but i still get the slugs on my other plants.

Jackie

pelirojaroja 08-05-2003 02:20 AM

Slug attractive plants

Hostas, too.