Old 28-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered User

Default What to do if you did spread raw manure in your garden

Hello all,
I come to you as I have a problem.
I tried to do good but I have done wrong.
I did spread raw horse manure on my garden.
This include the flower beds, lawn, the shrubs and even dig some onto the brown patches of my lawn.
To make things worse the manure was mixed with saw wood which, if I understand right, will deplete nitrogen out of the soil.

By reading the internet, I quickly realized that I did wrong.
Last saturday I tried to brush off as much of the saw wood I could, I have removed manually a large chunk of the manure.
I did not spread too much of it in the first place, may be 6 kilos over 80 square meter and I have certainly already removed one third of it.

This week-end, I will continue trying to remove as much of the saw wood and of the manure I can.

However, what signs should I be watching?
Is there really reasons to be alarmed?
If yes, what can I do to correct the situation?

thank you so much for your help - it is my first year in the garden and I am disappointed to have done such a mistake ...

Old 28-02-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

blue_sky_london wrote:
Hello all,
I come to you as I have a problem.
I tried to do good but I have done wrong.

No you haven't

I did spread raw horse manure on my garden.
This include the flower beds, lawn, the shrubs and even dig some onto
the brown patches of my lawn.
To make things worse the manure was mixed with saw wood which, if I
understand right, will deplete nitrogen out of the soil.

Not necessarily

By reading the internet, I quickly realized that I did wrong.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. What terrible fate will
befall you?

Last saturday I tried to brush off as much of the saw wood I could, I
have removed manually a large chunk of the manure.
I did not spread too much of it in the first place, may be 6 kilos
over 80 square meter and I have certainly already removed one third
of it.

What a waste of time.

This week-end, I will continue trying to remove as much of the saw
wood and of the manure I can.

Don't bother

However, what signs should I be watching?
Is there really reasons to be alarmed?
If yes, what can I do to correct the situation?

thank you so much for your help - it is my first year in the garden
and I am disappointed to have done such a mistake ...

You are fussing about nothing. No horrid thing will happen to you. I
suspect this is a leg-pull, I wonder is anybody could be really this stupid.

David

Old 28-02-2012, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
blue_sky_london wrote:

[...]

Don't worry about the saw dust and wood chip, just fish emulsion
every 2 weeks.

Billy means on your head, your head needs to smell fishy like your post.

Old 29-02-2012, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
blue_sky_london

You are entitled to 1-1/2 mistakes before being brought up on charges

But seriously -- raw horse manure is a no-no. You should try to get
hold of well-rotted manure. Chicken manure is great, too, but it is
very "sharp" in its raw state, so it too needs to be well-rotted
(aged).

Go thou and read up on-line or hard copy, whatever source you prefer,
about the uses and abuses of manure.

HB

Old 29-02-2012, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking bull, but have it your way.
Steve

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered User

My question was actually not if it was a bad idea, I know this by now, but what can I do to correct the situation. Any idea anybody ?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

blue_sky_london wrote:
My question was actually not if it was a bad idea, I know this by now,
but what can I do to correct the situation. Any idea anybody ?

teaspoon, cup, patience.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

blue_sky_london wrote:
[...]

Plant tomatoes and don't worry about it. Maybe wait a year before
planting potatoes or lettuce.

-Bob
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

blue_sky_london wrote:

My question was actually not if it was a bad idea, I know this by now,
but what can I do to correct the situation. Any idea anybody ?

you didn't apply enough to smother anything.
the rains will wash it in. water it in if you
want if it hasn't rained already. if any large
clumps remain afterwards break them up and
spread them around.

don't lick the grass for a few months.

all will be fine.

songbird

Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

"blue_sky_london" wrote in
message ...

My question was actually not if it was a bad idea, I know this by now,
but what can I do to correct the situation. Any idea anybody ?

There is no need to correct the situation except in the case where the horse
poop may have came from a source where it had that herbicide in it
(amalidpro???? can't remeber what it was called but I'm sure some other
poster will). If you aren't concerned about that herbicde, then enjoy it.
Horse poo is great stuff and I use it just as it comes from the horse and
have done for years.