GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deflowering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202502-deflowering.html)

AlansMarshTits 04-03-2012 02:23 PM

Deflowering

I have some young flowers in my garden and I would like to deflower them to have them in my house...What is the best method of deflowering a young flower?

Wine Delilah 04-03-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlansMarshTits (Post 952572)
I have some young flowers in my garden and I would like to deflower them to have them in my house...What is the best method of deflowering a young flower?

I suggest you gently pull the petals off, being careful not to rub against the stymen, making it bleed, above all, be gentle...nothing worse than a rough de-flowering..

WD

AlansMarshTits 04-03-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wine Delilah (Post 952574)
I suggest you gently pull the petals off, being careful not to rub against the stymen, making it bleed, above all, be gentle...nothing worse than a rough de-flowering..

WD

Thank you Wine, that is very good advice, I am not sure I can promise not to make them bleed due to the thickness of the stem.

Gunner[_3_] 04-03-2012 05:59 PM

Help

On Mar 4, 2:05*am, AlansMarshTits AlansMarshTits.
wrote:
Can anyone let me know what these are on my lawn and if they harm the
grass?

|Filename: Mrooms.jpeg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14769|

AlansMarshTits

Psilocybin? No there is little worry unless you ingesting them.
http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/13896/enlarge

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 04-03-2012 09:42 PM

Help

AlansMarshTits wrote:
Can anyone let me know what these are on my lawn and if they harm the
grass?

Filename: Mrooms.jpeg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14769|

They are some kind of fungus, a mushroom or toadstool if you like. Such
consume dead organic matter in the soil and don't eat the grass. Leave them
alone as some are toxic. If you get them a lot your lawn may be too wet or
otherwise more suited to fungi. If you only get a few now and then there is
no big problem.

David

banjulips 04-03-2012 09:44 PM

I tend to be quite rough with the young ones, you have to careful with the sensitive areas but I start off by going at them with a fresh blade.

AlansMarshTits 04-03-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjulips (Post 952664)
I tend to be quite rough with the young ones, you have to careful with the sensitive areas but I start off by going at them with a fresh blade.

I worry about the roughness and hurting the tender petals :(

AlansMarshTits 05-03-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 952678)
AlansMarshTits wrote:
Can anyone let me know what these are on my lawn and if they harm the
grass?

Filename: Mrooms.jpeg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14769|

They are some kind of fungus, a mushroom or toadstool if you like. Such
consume dead organic matter in the soil and don't eat the grass. Leave them
alone as some are toxic. If you get them a lot your lawn may be too wet or
otherwise more suited to fungi. If you only get a few now and then there is
no big problem.

David

Cheers David, what is your stance on lawn paint?