GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Second time round (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202529-second-time-round.html)

Alistair MacDonald 06-03-2012 03:22 PM

Second time round

I have several bags of once- used seed compost, and wonder if it can be
safely used again for its original purpose. If the answer is yes, what kind
of fertiliser should be used (if any) to revive it?

Gunner[_3_] 06-03-2012 06:00 PM

Second time round

On Mar 6, 7:22*am, "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:
I have several bags of once- used seed compost, and wonder if it can be
safely used again for its original purpose. If the answer is *yes, what kind
of fertiliser should be used (if any) to revive it?

Not recommended but this is rec.gardens. Most seed starter
i.e.perlite, vermiculite, peat, sand,etc is somewhat inert. The seed
does not usually need any nutrients to get it going until the true
leaves come into play. Too much nutrient(s) at this stage can harm
them. Again, previously owned seed mix is best used as filler to
bulk up your soils, BUT if you are going to try to reuse, you might
consider some sort of heat as a first option to knock back any
undesirable bad characters you might not want. Google for soil
sterilization methods. Don't worry Nature will start her
homeostasis almost immediately if you leave her alone. Then just worry
about fertilization when and if the seeds germinate.