GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rust in azalea!!! HELP (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202616-rust-azalea-help.html)

laurap74 13-03-2012 11:22 PM

Rust in azalea!!! HELP

I purchased a evergreen azalea. It has developed a serious leaf rust infestation. I got it over the summer and I am planning to transfer it to the spot I want to have it. Right now the plant is still on the burlap. I removed all the rusty leaves out and the plant is budding, so only the buds are present at this point.
Is there anything I could do to prevent the rust from coming back next year?

Also, is there anything I could apply to the plant to avoid this disease?

I will greatly appreciate help.
Thanks

pam smith 14-03-2012 12:42 PM

Rust in azalea!!! HELP

--
laurap74

Hi Laura
My name is Pam,maybe this could help you.carry out a acidify test of
the soil,for azaleas need a acid soil,yellow leaves on azaleas and
other acid loving plants is a sign that the plants need nitrogen as
well as increased acid.Mulch the plants heavily with peat or a special
acid azalea compost and a application of nitrogen-fertilizer to make
the soil more acid.apply acidifying materials, ask for it at your
nursery.
good luck
pam smith

Gunner[_3_] 14-03-2012 03:42 PM

Rust in azalea!!! HELP

On Mar 13, 4:22*pm, laurap74
wrote:

I'm sure you have thought of these yet they bear repeating,

Probably a bit late now but you might try to return it and get your
money back, buy a variety that may not be as susceptible to rust in
your area as this one may take a while to return to good health. Rust
is more prevalent on deciduous varieties and ones near hemlocks.

If you keep it, find a fungicide listed for your particular variety
of plant and rust. (lots of different rusts for different plants).
Start at the place where you purchased your plant. Barring that, find
a good nursery/ or local experts and ask. Dispose of the burlap and
the soil properly so as not spread the rust ( should have already done
that with the leaves.) .

Perhaps next time get it into the ground a bit sooner.

some sleuthing info:

http://rhodyman.net/rhodyho.html#anchorRHIZO

http://tinyurl.com/6wq79r7