Old 15-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered User

Smile Flower or weed

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Flower or weed-weed.jpg
Old 15-03-2012, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Flower or weed

Derek Lax xalkeredATyahooDOTcom writes:

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf
system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she
sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my
weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd
be grateful.

Looks like wood geranium.

Can be a flower or a weed depending on your point of view.
A weed is simply a plant where you don't want it.

They spread like weeds in my yard but I mostly leave them alone
since I'm going for an informal look anyway.

--
Dan Espen
Old 16-03-2012, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Derek Lax xalkeredATyahooDOTcom wrote:

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf
system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she
sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my
weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd
be grateful.
Thanks
Derek

|Filename: weed.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14808|

Could be a bleeding heart or other Dicentra species. I'd let it grow.
Flower buds will probably be appearing fairly soon.
Old 16-03-2012, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article ,
Derek Lax xalkeredATyahooDOTcom wrote:

Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf
system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she
sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my
weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd
be grateful.
Thanks
Derek

|Filename: weed.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14808|

Could be a bleeding heart or other Dicentra species. I'd let it grow.
Flower buds will probably be appearing fairly soon.

I agree may be a bleeding heart. White or red will take some time.
Good plant.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 17-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lax View Post
Hello all
This is my first post and it's an identification question.
Can you tell me if the attached picture shows a flower or a weed leaf system.
I'm a complete novice at this, my wife was the green fingered but she sadly passed away last year. So now I'm in charge but don't know my weeds from my elbow.
So if you could identify this plant as friend (flower) or foe (weed) I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Derek
Many thanks guys
I'll leave it to grow and see what happens
Thanks Derek
Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Registered User

This looks like Welsh poppy to me. It should eventually have a yellow or orange flower. It will seed itself around and whether you allow it to do this depends on how much you like it.