GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is this dead? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202693-dead.html)

NewbieSticker 18-03-2012 07:13 PM

Is this dead?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, a new home owner and completely new to gardening. With the new property has come a hedge however the hedge to me looks decidedly dead!

I've attached an image for everyone to have a look at and would appreciate someone filling me in, is it dead?

Thanks in advance for you all your help!

lannerman 18-03-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewbieSticker (Post 953630)
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, a new home owner and completely new to gardening. With the new property has come a hedge however the hedge to me looks decidedly dead!

I've attached an image for everyone to have a look at and would appreciate someone filling me in, is it dead?

Thanks in advance for you all your help!

Hi, NO, its definantely not dead !! Its a very popular hedging plant known as beech (Fagus sylvatica) One of its main features is that although it is deciduous,
it doesnt shed last years leaves imedeately which keeps the hedge looking 'thicker' over winter. I would imagine that its the common green beech but if you are very lucky, it may turn out to be one of the varieties with copper or even purple leaves but you will soon find out when it comes into leaf very shortly.
regards, Lannerman.

Arkadiusz Dymek 18-03-2012 10:16 PM

Is this dead?

W dniu 3/18/2012 8:13 PM, NewbieSticker wrote:

I'm new to the forum, a new home owner and completely new to gardening.
With the new property has come a hedge however the hedge to me looks
decidedly dead!

I've attached an image for everyone to have a look at and would
appreciate someone filling me in, is it dead?

In my humble opinion it's alive. But you can easily check it for
yourself: just scratch the bark. If it's alive you should see green
cambium underneath.

Best regards,
Arkadesh