GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best way to get my new Yew hedge going? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202764-best-way-get-my-new-yew-hedge-going.html)

Matt1975 23-03-2012 07:01 PM

Best way to get my new Yew hedge going?

I've just bought a number of Yew trees, all about 4" in height with a generous root ball encased in sacking and wire mesh.

Wonding if anyone has any recommendations about planting these? location is well drained and what looks like a nice quality soil.

- Should I use any particular compost (ericacous [spelling?] has been suggested)

- Should I use any feed?

- Should I remove the mesh before planting (It's been suggested not to, and let it rot)

- Should I adopt any particular pruning technique to get them forming a hedge as quickly as possible? They are already a reasonable size, but I don't know if there are any tricks to get them to shoot in the best way.

I'm planning on planting 2 per metre/3'4"

Any assistance gratefully received.