Old 27-03-2012, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bamboo

Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the steep
hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over the years and
it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is there?
Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

Thanks!
ray

Old 27-03-2012, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/26/12 6:44 PM, busbus wrote:
Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the steep
hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over the years and
it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is there?
Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

Thanks!
ray

First of all, be sure it is truly bamboo or possibly giant reed, both of
which are grasses. There are several other plants that resemble bamboo,
including horsetail (Equisetum) that are not grasses.

If it is truly a grass and actually enters your property, I suggest the
use of a grass-specific herbicide. There are several brands available
at various nurseries, lumber yards, and hardware stores. Mix it with a
little liquid soap (an excellent wetting agent) and spray it on the
foliage. It will kill the shoot, its roots, and any runners that it
might have sent out.

However, grass-specific herbicides will generally NOT kill back to the
original planting. That is both good and bad. It is good because your
neighbor will have little grounds for suing you. It is bad because you
will have to use the herbicide again.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 27-03-2012, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

busbus wrote:
Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the
steep hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over
the years and it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is
there? Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

Thanks!
ray

As you will see every time the issues of fences, adjoining hedges and
boundaries comes up the law is not identical over the world and this is an
international news group. So you need to consult your own local gov
authority on the matter. Glyphosate will knock it down if applied
appropriately but as with physical removal the problem is any bits remaining
can re-shoot and start the whole process again. Trying to control it at the
fence line is a recipe for misery as it will just keep coming every year.

Whatever you do consult the neighbour first, you never know they might be
cooperative.

Old 27-03-2012, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

busbus wrote:
Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the
steep hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over
the years and it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is
there? Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

A root barrier going from the surface down to below the root level would
probably stop it. You could rent a trencher to prepare a slot to put it in.

Old 27-03-2012, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
busbus wrote:

A root barrier going from the surface down to below the root level
would probably stop it. You could rent a trencher to prepare a slot
to put it in.

The root barrier must go at least 60cm down. better 100cm to be on the
safe side. Then you'll only have to worry about shoots going _over_
the barrier, but these are easier to exterminate.

Since the bamboo shoots have enough space to go in other directions,
this will probably work even in the long run.

--
Klaus
www.wassergarten.tk

Old 27-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
On 3/26/12 6:44 PM, busbus wrote:
[...]

My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
Bamboos are some of the quickest growing plants in the world, as some species have been recorded as growing up to 100 cm (39 in) within a 24 hour period due to a unique rhizome-dependent system. Bamboos are of notable economic and cultural significance in South Asia, South East Asia and East Asia, being used for building materials, as a food source, and as a versatile raw product.
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 30-03-2012, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

busbus wrote:
[...]

http://todayyesterdayandtomorrow.wor...ensored-news-t
he-lethal-dangers-of-roundup-made-by-monsanto/

Genetically Modified Foods, The Silent Killer
Previously! Censored Information, Healthy Sources of Genetically
Modified Free Foods and Drinks, and Those to Avoid

CENSORED News - The Lethal Dangers of ³Roundup² Made by*Monsanto
June 8, 2007 in Agriculture, CENSORED, Cancer, Crops, Eating Can Kill
You, Food, Genetically Engineered, Genetically Modified, Glyphosate,
Health, Insecticide, Monsanto, Pesticide, Roundup | Tags: CHEE YOKE
HEONG, Eric Seralini, Genetically Modified food, GM food, GMO, Lethal,
miscarriage, premature birth, Rick Relyea, Robert Belle, Transgenic,
weed killer, weedkiller

New Evidence Establishes Dangers of Monsanto¹s Roundup Weed Killer
Sources:
Third World Resurgence, No. 176, April 2005
Title: ³New Evidence of Dangers of Roundup Weedkiller²
Author: Chee Yoke Heong
Faculty Evaluator: Jennifer While
Student Researchers: Peter McArthur and Lani Ready
New studies from both sides of the Atlantic reveal that Roundup, the
most widely used weed killer in the world, poses serious human health
threats.
More than 75 percent of genetically modified (GM) crops are engineered
to tolerate the absorption of Roundup; it eliminates all plants that are
not Genetically Modified.
Monsanto Inc., the major engineer of GMO crops, is also the producer of
Roundup.
Thus, while Roundup was formulated as a weapon against weeds, it has
also*become a prevalent ingredient within most of our food crops.
Three recent studies show that Roundup, which is used by farmers and
home gardeners, is not the safe product we have been led to trust.
(cont.)
-------

http://www.naturalnews.com/031138_Monsanto_Roundup.html

Monsanto¹s Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and Endangers Human
and Animal Health

The following article reveals the devastating and unprecedented impact
that Monsanto¹s Roundup herbicide is having on the health of our soil,
plants, animals, and human population. On top of this perfect storm, the
USDA now wants to approve Roundup Ready alfalfa, which will exacerbate
this calamity. Please tell USDA Secretary Vilsack not to approve
Monsanto¹s alfalfa today. [Note: typos corrected from Jan 16th, see
details]

While visiting a seed corn dealer¹s demonstration plots in Iowa last
fall, Dr. Don Huber walked passed a soybean field and noticed a distinct
line separating severely diseased yellowing soybeans on the right from
healthy green plants on the left (see photo). The yellow section was
suffering from Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS), a serious plant disease that
ravaged the Midwest in 2009 and ¹10, driving down yields and profits.
Something had caused that area of soybeans to be highly susceptible and
Don had a good idea what it was.

Don Huber spent 35 years as a plant pathologist at Purdue University and
knows a lot about what causes green plants to turn yellow and die
prematurely. He asked the seed dealer why the SDS was so severe in the
one area of the field and not the other. ³Did you plant something there
last year that wasn¹t planted in the rest of the field?² he asked. Sure
enough, precisely where the severe SDS was, the dealer had grown
alfalfa, which he later killed off at the end of the season by spraying
a glyphosate-based herbicide (such as Roundup). The healthy part of the
field, on the other hand, had been planted to sweet corn and hadn¹t
received glyphosate.

This was yet another confirmation that Roundup was triggering SDS. In
many fields, the evidence is even more obvious. The disease was most
severe at the ends of rows where the herbicide applicator looped back to
make another pass (see photo). That¹s where extra Roundup was applied.
(cont.)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"busbus" wrote:

Hello,

The neighbor up the hill decided to plant some bamboo to cover the steep
hill behind his house. It has quickly come down the hill over the years and
it dangerously close to my yard.

What can I do to stop this junk? I don't think much of anything, is there?
Do local governments sometimes ban this junk?

Thanks!
ray

If it's actually bamboo, simply mowing (or cutting) it works perfectly.
True bamboos send up shoots once a year (spring, in climates with
winter, anyway). Cut those shoots off (cook them if you like), problem
solved. I have a small patch of bamboo - it does grow very fast (once a
year when the shoots use up the energy stored up for them over the
previous year) and after that it just sits there - the lawnmower keeps
it in check quite easily. Once mowed over, the roots that extend under
the lawn give up for the year.

Knotweed is a whole different ballgame, but it's also not bamboo.
Doesn't keep people from calling it bamboo, but it's not.

If the neighbor is not a jerk, talk. If the neighbor is a jerk, and the
lawnmower won't do it, herbicide or government intervention (if your
local government intervenes in this sort of thing - which only someone
else local to your town (or possibly subdivision) would know. Make sure
the wind is blowing towards the neighbors yard when spraying.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

On 3/26/12 6:44 PM, busbus wrote:
[...]

great to see that, awesome. But I'm still thinking on "be sure it is truly bamboo or possibly giant reed, both of
which are grasses. There are several other plants that resemble bamboo,
including horsetail (Equisetum) that are not grasses."
Definitely, there are remarkable differences between both of them.

[IMG] code is On

Hello fellow bamboo lovers! I have a question about my bamboo patch RiverMan Bamboo 9 27-04-2011 06:42 AM
Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Looking for Simon Henderson (formerly of BAMBOO PEOPLE) - Bamboo agroforestry researcher Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione Bamboo 0 02-11-2003 05:32 PM
Bamboo wanted. Have Black bamboo and "Alphonse Karr" Annabel United Kingdom 2 12-06-2003 03:56 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM