Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.energy.renewable

Default Gardening Tips

PolicySpy wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

This shows how very unobservant you are. In the course of a year the
rising and setting directions of the sun will vary considerably.

PolicySpy writes:

My sun rises in the East, swings in the southern sky, and sets in the
West.

For only a few days of the year in temperate zones.

It swings in the southern sky lower in the winter and higher in the
summer.

And in the summer it rises and sets further towards the pole and in winter
more towards the equator.

Would anyone really believe that the path of the sun is so difficult
to understand as it relates to the yard and house ?

Apparently you are having trouble with it so I think it was worth the
mention.

Could anyone really believe that they had raised a significant debate
point ?

Only if you want to take the seasonal position of the sun into account when
doing your passive solar design for your house.

What is your latitude? What do you think is the difference there between
the rising position of the sun between mid winter and mid summer?

David

Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.energy.renewable

David Hare-Scott wrote:

PolicySpy writes:

[...]

It looks like there isn't going to be a continuation from Spy but some may
be interested in some facts anyway.

These figures are the difference in degrees in the rising position of the
sun between 20th June and 20th December. The difference in setting position
would be similar.

Miami 52
London 79
Moscow 90

Obviously it varies with latitude and the same sort of differences arrise in
the southern hemisphere as in the north. There is considerable difference
in how the sun strikes your house between summer and winter unless you live
in rather low latitudes, basically in the tropics. This is worth
considering when designing the passive solar heating/cooling of your house.

David

Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.energy.renewable

Janet wrote:
In article , says...

It looks like there isn't going to be a continuation from Spy but
some may be interested in some facts anyway.

These figures are the difference in degrees in the rising position
of the sun between 20th June and 20th December. The difference in
setting position would be similar.

Miami 52
London 79
Moscow 90

Obviously it varies with latitude and the same sort of differences
arrise in the southern hemisphere as in the north. There is
considerable difference in how the sun strikes your house between
summer and winter unless you live in rather low latitudes, basically
in the tropics. This is worth considering when designing the
passive solar heating/cooling of your house.

I live at the same latitude as Moscow (and Alaska) and there are
plenty of valley houses here which are sunny all summer, but receive
no direct sun in winter because the sun never gets high enough in the
sky. We've always avoided buying property in winter shadow locations
because they are noticeably colder and darker for half the year.

Janet.

I can see how is a major consideration at that latitude. At Moscow at mid
winter the sun rises around 9am and sets around 4 pm having risen 11 degrees
or so above the horizon. Just about any hill or building south of you and
you get no sun. Too chilly for me!

Spy mentioned the difference from summer to winter in the height that the
sun rises to, which is a major component of the situation you describe, and
clearly that is important. I was trying to point out that not only does the
height vary but the rising and setting positions too. Such issues are
important for house design but also gardens.