GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wistera problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/202992-wistera-problem.html)

renedrag 08-04-2012 12:50 PM

Wistera problem

My wisteria planted four years ago.Which this year has produce flower buds and were just begining to open when the buds and new leaves have suddenly started to wilt and die.I can't see any insects.Anybody notice the same problem with their wisteria.Location Dorset.Any advice greatly appreciated.

David E. Ross[_2_] 08-04-2012 04:35 PM

Wistera problem

On 4/8/12 4:50 AM, renedrag wrote:
My wisteria planted four years ago.Which this year has produce flower
buds and were just begining to open when the buds and new leaves have
suddenly started to wilt and die.I can't see any insects.Anybody notice
the same problem with their wisteria.Location Dorset.Any advice greatly
appreciated.

Wisteria is sensitive to exessively wet soil. It needs very good
drainage.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Jeff Layman[_2_] 08-04-2012 07:39 PM

Wistera problem

On 08/04/2012 12:50, renedrag wrote:
My wisteria planted four years ago.Which this year has produce flower
buds and were just begining to open when the buds and new leaves have
suddenly started to wilt and die.I can't see any insects.Anybody notice
the same problem with their wisteria.Location Dorset.Any advice greatly
appreciated.

If it is a grafted wisteria then graft failure is not uncommon. Just
wait and see what happens next year.

--

Jeff

allen73 09-04-2012 08:29 AM

Wisteria problem caused by lack of moisture, fluctuating growing conditions, frost or wind damage at any time between bud formation until flowering. Ensuring plants are healthy and not stressed will go some way in minimising weather damage. Watering, feeding, mulching and plant care will keep plants healthy, and also pay attention to soil health.