Old 13-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User

Default Planting a grafted wisteria

Hi,
I am wondering if i have planted this wisteria at the correct depth. I heard that you need to have the graft about 2 inches above the soil, but i can't tell which bit is the graft. Ive attached a pic of how ive planted it, does this look right to you?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Planting a grafted wisteria-img_0416%5B1%5D.jpg
Old 14-04-2012, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/13/12 11:06 AM, mushy_face wrote:
Hi,
I am wondering if i have planted this wisteria at the correct depth. I
heard that you need to have the graft about 2 inches above the soil, but
i can't tell which bit is the graft. Ive attached a pic of how ive
planted it, does this look right to you?
Thanks

|Filename: IMG_0416[1].jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14906|

The knob just above the soil appears to be a graft.

Two warnings about wisteria:

1. They require soil that drains well. They appreciate moist soil but
not soggy soil.

2. Once established, they can be quite vigorous. See
http://www.sierramadrechamber.com/wistaria/history.pdf about a
wisteria that actually destroyed a house.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 16-04-2012, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 13, 3:58*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

I hope that doesn't deter people from visiting Sierra Madre to see
this remarkable vine, using the link that David furnished! Sierra
Madre is a charming community in the mountains around L.A. It still
has some "olde-tyme" community flavor.

Whether the Sierra Madre wisteria is larger than the Great Vine at
England's Hampton Court, I can't say; been years since I saw it;
impressive icon of English history. Below link claims it is largest in
the world.

http://europeforvisitors.com/london/...great-vine.htm

HB

[IMG] code is On

Grafted flowering gum butchered Jeremy Lunn Australia 2 09-11-2003 10:32 AM
Cherry top-grafted family tree Gyve Turquoise Edible Gardening 0 18-05-2003 10:44 AM
About grafted roses... Kim Roses 1 11-05-2003 05:32 AM
Ultimate size of a grafted Sapote tree. How-Hie Ling Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Ultimate size of a grafted Sapote tree. How-Hie Ling Australia 0 05-04-2003 07:35 AM